Rape Humor and Disrespect. *Possible Trigger Warning*

I posted on Facebook a little bit ago this video. It deals with the issue of how the idea that males being raped is actually funny in this society, and that ignores how serious the after effect that is for male rape victims.

I simply caption my post with "Rape is never funny. End Rape Humor for all genders."

It really shouldn't have surprised me that the first thing that happens is someone (a cis male) commenting my post with "I am too a victim of rape. Every time I eat mexicanos my ass takes a beating." Followed by another guy continuing his joke.

A lot of people might think I'm overreacting, but this is my issue. Even though they didn't say anything that was "directly disrespectful" to rape victims (some would say), but rape is something serious and horrible to all who have been victims on it. And the first thing you think of to comment about it is a lame joke about your shit?

What if a rape victim from my friend list read his comment on my post? How do you think that person would feel? What if I, myself, was a rape victim and this commenter didn't know that? Would he still be making lame jokes on my post?

Rape humor and disrespecting the seriousness of something like rape is never funny or appropriate.

If we excuse simple comments and jokes like that, there is a problem. The next step would be using the rape humor we all know, where victim-shaming is used etc.

I could go on and on. I just needed to vent somewhere.

Opinions and further discussion is welcome. Don't be disrespectful, or I won't hesitate on reporting you.
March 30th, 2014 at 07:43pm