HeartBeat of A Kick Drum

Beads of sweat sweep across my brow, as I huddle into the mass of dreamers seeking out the strike of a chord, or the beat of a drum. The air sits heavy with anticipation, and hopeful eyes. Suddenly the speakers crack, and the world beyond the boundaries of the perimeter are hurdled away. The humming of a bass sends vibrations from the soles of my feet, traveling up my spine. The regret, worry, unknown, the unforgiving reality everything gliding away. The steady beat of a kick drum is carried to the beat of a thousand heavy hearts.
The heavy hearts belonging to a group of soldiers seeking some sort of asylum where it is offered. We find it in our family, our brethren. For I stand shoulder to shoulder, and back to back, with the faces of so many I have yet to know, though none of that matters. For in this moment I have yet to know anyone better than those I stand with today. I can’t name every face, yet I can decipher every emotion, for the simple fact I myself have worn it a time too many. With each muffled scream escaping the apostle’s throat, we the disciples act as the echo singing right back to him. Our voices mingling as one, becoming something in its own.
The music ceases, everything fades out until all I hear are the voices of the legion breaking through the silence. Each voice releasing the secrets of a wanderer, a lost soul. Each fist raised in the air, with pride and respect, a salute of appreciation. Each eye containing the formation of stars. Moving as one, a sight to see.
A sight full of love, and passion, hitting me with full force. A sight that in everyday life would be questioned. Where music cleanses the soul for a moment in time, and common differences are no longer apparent. Where music draws the souls of a thousand to march in its parade of triumph. And the voices of all things left unsaid, ring out loud to a world of deaf ears, though it is irrelevant for we can read the emotions written on the faces, feel the passion in our hearts, and stand together in a world of uncertainty.
We stand as the voice behind the music, a legion of sound. I am a member of a nation of passion, reading my heart aloud. A single individual in a coalition of disciples following a religion of music. Allowing it to carry my heart, with the songs of our souls. I believe in music's ability to heal, I believe in its ability to bring people together, I believe in the song of my soul.
March 31st, 2014 at 06:47pm