The Story of Whiskers

Two nights ago one of my cats dragged in a little mouse, I knew my cat wouldn't eat him so I spent five minutes chasing my cat down before finally rescuing the little mouse from my cats jaws.

The mouse looked in bad condition, it stayed on it's side, panting for air and I was scared that he'd die, my brother tried to shoot it with his slug gun saying "Put it out of it's misery." I literally snarled at my brother and told him to fuck off with his animal cruelty crap. Even if he's just a "wild mouse" he still deserved a chance to live.

Well I nursed him for a few hours then suddenly he was on his legs and moving around, slowly mind you but he was still up non-the-less.

I made him a home out of a shoe box, I told himself I'd keep him over night for an observation and if he was better in the morning I'd release him.

The morning came around and he was okay but not great, I decided to take him to the vets and the vets had a look at him, they told me that he was young and and except for the swelling on one side of his face he was health and disease free.

I took him home and showed him to the family and told them the news, my mum found him so adorable that even though she was usually against having pets she told me I should keep the little guy.

So I decided I would, after all I had grown attached to him since I first rescued him. I called the little mouse Whiskers, or Wiss for short.

Image

He was smaller than the size of my palm and that's saying something considering I have small hands. :O

So over these past three days I've grown really attached to Whiskers, he'd be curled up on my lap, or in the palm of my hand or somewhere where I can see him.

On the first night he managed to escape the shoe box he had been in but he had stayed on top of the lid, not going very far.

The second night he escaped three times, but was always close by when I went on a hunt for him. This morning I woke up and took him out of the box, he curled up in my hand and fell asleep while I lightly dozed away.

It was mid morning when he started acting strangely, when he tried to walk he'd end up flopping to the side and struggling to get up, as the time went on his condition worsened and an hour or two later he couldn't stand and his breathing was shallow, I had just finished a big chore when I came in to check up on him, picking him up carefully I watched closely and within a few minutes he breathed his last breath, I felt his heart stop and he passed away.

I cried so hard and even though it may seem dumb I had grown really attached to Whiskers. No other mouse can compare to him. As a wild animal he was the most cuddliest little thing to exist and I'm glad that I was able to look after him.

It's silly that such a short interaction with a mouse could end up making my heart hurt so much, sorry for this mushy blog, I just needed a place to talk about how I'm feeling.

Thanks for reading!

Question: Have you ever lost a pet before and how did it affect you?

Bye x
April 6th, 2014 at 12:46pm