Just a Tad Deflated Right Now

Let me start by apologising because this is a self pity blog. Back away now.

I sent one of my close friends some chapters for Nightbook and Idle the other day because she's been asking to see some of my stuff for a while. Now this is a big deal for me. I've never really shown anyone irl my stories apart from my writing mentor. It's not that I'm ashamed of my writing or anything, but it feels like they don't really care? I tried to show my sister one time but she's more interested in reading her kindle. And when I was thinking about entering the mentor competition I showed my mom two chapters because I didn't know which one to pick and she said they were 'too wordy.' Actual quote. To be fair to my family, they did congratulate me when I got the mentorship, but they never ask how it's going or anything.

[insert usual Mibba ramble] I think all of this is just one of the reasons I love Mibba and rely on the site so much. I am writing for myself, it makes me incredibly happy, but there's no better feeling when someone leaves you a little comment or a recommendation right? Then there's the fact that there's a whole host of fellow writers to talk to who just 'get it'. When I actually get my butt in to gear and read stories on here I'm constantly blown away by structure and plot and dialogue and all these fantastic characters I want to know in real life.

I'm not even going to start on the Mibbians because I'll be here all day. Love you guys!

So back to my point.
My friend asked me if I wanted any specific feedback like on grammar and such. I told her I just wanted her opinion on the overall feel because I think it might be a bit stuffy. Mainly because I'm not too comfortable writing in 1st person, I prefer 3rd. I also told her not to bother with the grammar and such because I know there are mistakes, but right now I'm at the point where I just want to get the damn thing finished. Then I can look at it from an editing view and go back in.

So she just emailed me her notes on the first few chapters of Nightbook - and I want to go and hide in my wardrobe. She's highlighted stuff in practically every paragraph with questions of Why is the happening? I need more description about this room. Why is she passive, but witty and saracastic? There's too much action going on here. It's hard to imagine. How many times does she stumble? Why is she running? Is she a submissive character? What does she do on a nightout?

Image

There are a hell of a lot more of these questions. A lot. All I can see is blue notes.

Now I realise I asked for this by sending her the chapters, and there are many good and valid points I'll be noting. But on the flipside some of them just make it seem like she didn't read certain parts properly? Like when she's asking about what a character's wearing and I know I've written that? (Plus she's called one of the stories by the wrong name in her text and email)

I've been very naive. I wasn't expecting her to say everything was perfect and she loved it because that would be a fluffy lie. However, I was not expecting a tidal wave of constructive criticism. Actually she's only told me one thing she likes so far.

I think because I'm such a happy, straightforward person in real life she thinks I can handle it? I CAN'T OK. I'm pretty fragile when it comes to these stories because they're my babies and she's one of the few people who knows how much effort I've put in to Nightbook in particular. I'm drowning in blue notes and it makes me want to throw the whole story out of the window.

Image

Yes. I am being overly dramatic right now. I'm aware of that. I just need someone to give me a hug and tell me everything will be ok.
I'm really glad I have a pre-done chapter for both of these stories so I don't have to think about writing them. Especially since she'll be sending part two of her email soon, in which she dissects the rest of Nightbook and also Idle. If she's mean about Bowen or Sebastian I will actually cry.

Erin can we go to Italy now? I'd like to eat my body weight in pizza and gelato.
April 7th, 2014 at 05:38pm