Day of Silence

Okay, I'm automatically going to start off with the fact that I participated in Day of Silence today and it was honestly super hard but I knew it was for a good cause even though I am a usually talkative person.

Anyway, that is completely besides the point I came to make. Today in my oh so fucking amazing journalism class...(in case you didn't catch it, that was sarcasm)...we were on the Day of Silence topic. There was a junior girl in there who was bisexual and she wasn't participating.

Now, I don't even know when this topic came up and stuff but she suddenly goes, "I'm bisexual and I don't see a point in the whole "not talking" for a the whole day kinda thing." Now, me being me, I immediately wanted to say something but I stuck to the whole "not talking" kinda thing (in her words).

She then said,
"I just don't understand why we're not supposed to talk. I don't see the big deal of being a homosexual or transgender and being silent about it. Aren't we supposed to be standing up and being proud of who we are? I feel like this Day of Silence thing just sends the wrong message."

Now, in a way, she is right. The thing I am upset about is the fact that during the whole time she was talking about this and ranting and shit, this girl next to me who WAS bisexual also was looking like she was about to cry.

"Also, all of the people participating aren't even LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender). There just making it seem like a joke." She said. I couldn't barely keep my mouth shut. It was HARD. You know why it was so hard to not but in and explain to her why exactly we are doing this, because every senior and junior in that class agreed and besides me and the girl next to me there was only one other sophomore in that entire class.

Now, here's what I really want to cover. If I would have been able to talk, here's what I would have said:

"Ok. I get it. You make a very valid point. The only flaw in that entire accusation, (yes, I would have said accusation, and you're about to find out why), is that you don't know everything. Are you absolutely 100% certain that no one in this school wearing a Day of Silence badge is LGBT? No, because that's the motherfucking point. Anyone who isn't talking is standing up for people who are either secretly LGBT and are afraid to come out, or have issues with just not wanting people to know, or maybe it has to do with someone in their family and they just can't come out for personal reason. The point is, you don't fucking know, and you can act like you know and you can assume all you want but if there is one thing I remember that my mother has told me about assuming shit, is to just spell out the word.

Do it.

Right now. Spell it out. Out loud. For everyone to hear.

A. S. S. U. M. E.

It makes an ASS out of U and ME. See? So I would suggest you rethink this whole conversation because do you want to be an ass? Cause I sure don't. The other thing is that some people don't have the heart to even realize or admit to being LGBT and isn't the point of having a moment of silence everyday after the pledge (we actually do have a moment of silence) suggesting we pray or take a moment to reflect and shit? Well, isn't the Day of Silence basically the same concept? We are just silently taking a day to basically just fucking recognize the fact that there are other ways of life than the original Adam and Eve.

Then, you said something about people taking it as a joke. [She said something about a girl putting duct tape over her mouth and automatically assumed (there's that word again) that the girl was mocking the idea of Day of Silence.] Dear freaking bejesus....no. In fact, I know that girl. I knew that girl when she was in kindergarten. Her mother is bisexual, so yeah, of course she's supportive. My mother and her mother used to hook up not even 6 months ago...that was an irrelevant fact but still, I'm proving my point that obviously this girl in my class just doesn't have the right to say all this without having all the facts... Ok, well maybe not all the facts but clearly more than she has right now.

Also, I'm going to point out that I don't have all the facts either and I just feel like this needed to be said. It doesn't even matter now really but it was important to me at the time and it was literally KILLING me that I couldn't say anything. Not only that, but the girl next to me had to leave the room because she started crying....

Anyway...I had a long day...I am just so done with that class I hope it "accidentally" explodes.

Yes the whole classroom...maybe including the juniors and seniors
April 11th, 2014 at 10:45pm