Gender Roles and Ranting

I never realize how much of a feminist I am until I have a conversation with my mother. Sorry, but I need to rant right now, but I'll try and keep from bashing.

It's just, her boyfriend (who I am very much not fond of) calls her and is like, "Oh, so what do we have to eat." It's obvious that he just wants her to cook for him, which I was really hoping she wouldn't do because it's not her job. And then he goes, "I'm having a friend coming over, can you clean up a bit?" Really? Really? I just... I can't even believe he would ask that. And then she does! And when he gets here he doesn't even come into the house with his friend, they stay in the basement.

I wasn't saying anything because I knew it would just start problems. But then she goes, "Ugh, I have to make hashbrowns and eggs for Andrew now." I couldn't believe she was cooking for him, so I just said something like, "He can't cook for himself?" And she goes off on me! She's saying how she cooks for me even though I'm 20 years old. It's like, yeah, I'm your daughter? Plus, I'm at school most of the time so it's not like she has to cook for me that often.

And she's like, "Well that's what wives do for their husbands." I can't even. Yeah, maybe in the fifties but it's 2014. And they're not even married! I had to leave because I almost made a comment about the fact that they were engaged but then cancelled the engagement. That would have seriously pissed her off.

But like, he doesn't pay for literally anything, so he's living here for free. She gave him the basement, so we're not even allowed in there anymore. My dad's not happy because he has to pay the mortgage, and his kids can't even go in the basement and her boyfriends not paying any rent. He buys food that no one else is allowed to touch, which is funny because she makes him all his meals with her own money!

A couple months ago he decided to sleep on the couch in the middle of the day and my mom was like whispering and saying we couldn't go in the living room because Andrew was sleeping. Okay, when I sleep in there he blasts the television or the radio, and talks really loud. And when I complain she tells me I should go sleep in my own room anyway. There's such a double standard it's not even funny.

And literally everyday at all hours, even though he has the basement to himself, he sits in the living room and takes over the tv. If somebody (including my mom) wants to watch something we have to go, "Excuse me, Andrew, can we please watch something when you're done?" It's like walking on eggshells around them, and it's so frustrating. Plus, he's watching television right now and I'm upstairs in my room and I can hear it loud and clear.

Then my mom gets all hurt when I tell her I'd rather be at my dad's. Not only is his house double the size of this one, but he actually spends time with me and doesn't act like I'm a burden all the time. And he's more of a feminist than my mom is! He says that she used to treat him the way she treats Andrew, and he actually didn't like it because he felt like she lives by these archaic gender roles.

I don't know, I'm just frustrated and I wish I was at my dad's. I don't even feel comfortable in this house anymore. I kind of get that feeling you get when you're at somebody else's house and you just want to go home and be in your own home.

Let me know if you think I'm over-reacting or if you agree.
April 19th, 2014 at 09:35pm