Things That Don't Bother Me in Stories.

This is just something that's been on my mind lately. This is my opinion, and isn't intended to put down anyone else's. We all have our pet peeves, but I figured instead of listing things that bother me, I'd list some common things that may irk others, but actually doesn't bother me at all.

1. People who respond to story comments on their own stories.
I've seen so many complaints about this. I mean, I get that it's "just as easy" to go to the person's page and respond; I usually always go to the person's profile to respond. But I don't see it as a big deal when I see other authors responding to comments on their own story. I've seen a few reasons behind why it irks people, such as: it's lazy; it makes the person look like they have more story comments than they really do; when the person replies they have to go searching through the comments for the reply; etc. For one, what's the big deal if they want to look like they have more comments? I don't think that's a bad thing. It doesn't take away from the quality of the story any. Comments don't have anything to do with how good or bad a story is, ya know? And what if the person who comments on the story has their profile privatized? I've seen that a lot, and when that happens, the only solution is to just hit the reply button. Also, since when do you have to scroll through comments to see what a reply says? Every time someone replies to me and I go to look, the page will go directly to where the reply is. I never have to go looking for what someone replied to me about. Never. But, I digress.

2. Trigger warnings.
I get it that people are like *shifty* when they see the author write "don't like, don't read." I, myself, am not a fan of seeing that in author notes. But, I can definitely appreciate a trigger warning here and there; especially when it comes to self-harm or eating disorders. To me, it seems like the author cares about how their story may affect someone. I've actually written a warning of sorts in one of my stories, because I was getting comments about how the reader didn't support some of the things the character's were engaging in. I'm sure a lot of other writer's have gotten the same kind of messages, which further pushed them to start including trigger warnings. No matter the cause, I'm all for author's giving their reader's a little heads up if they think the story warrants it.

3. People who write "for comment swap" in their story comments.
Okay, this I may be a little biased about, because I do it myself. Even so, I actually appreciate it when reader's comment my stories saying they came from the comment swap feature. I think it mostly has to do with the fact that a lot of times, I'm giving out more comments than I receive. Like, it'll say: Comments Posted: 21, Comments Received: 17. That irks my soul! So, when I see someone comment my story and tell me they're from comment swap, I actually feel a little bit better about it because I know I'm getting stuff in return for what I do. Make sense?

4. Story titles with a period at the end.
I've only seen this talked about a few times, but I actually really like stories with periods at the end. I don't know why. I think it gives it a sort of finality; like, if your story is titled Forbidden, for example, and you called it Forbidden. It seems like...it's forbidden; no exceptions, and nothing will change it. I'm weird, okay? I just like it. I might add a period at the end of one of my story titles right now just because.

That's all I can think of right now. Just to once again be clear, I'm not directing this to anyone. I'm not posting this to put down anyone else's opinions or thoughts. If anything on this list is one of your pet peeves, that's totally fine. We all have our likes and dislikes, and I completely respect that, dolls.

xoxo.
April 20th, 2014 at 12:36am