Why You Should Stay

I've been gone for the past few days, out of town. I know that right before I left, there was a beginning controversy on Mibba and a lot of people speaking out against other members as well as staff. I don't really think there is anything that I can say that hasn't been said, but I do think that something here needs to be changed. When a large group of people collectively feel the need to speak out against things going on throughout the site, it's a problem. Something is obviously wrong.

But I want to tell you guys to stay. I know Mibba has it's problem. I could not agree more that there is a severe level of unfairness that goes around on this site and until recently, I didn't think anything of it. I've seen now the level of inequality on this site among all members. But I don't think you should leave. I'm going to give you five reasons why.

1.) For every enemy you have on this site, you have more friends. I have so many friends on this site, and I know that a lot of the people leaving have friends to. Don't let whatever is making you want to leave get to you. Stick it out because I don't think that anyone should have the power to drive you off of something where you've made a bond with someone. I know that it may seem stressful, but do you deserve to leave a place you made friends? Stay for that reason.

2.) Things always change. Staff and people alike cannot ignore the public displays of disagreement that many members are showing. There is always some sort of compromise made, and I think that if you stick around long enough, someone is going to listen to you. Whatever your issue with the site is and whether someone agrees with you or not, stick it out and make your opinions heard and understood. That's how we grow as a site and as a writing community. Stay for that reason.

3.) No one can force you out of your writing home. Don't you dare let someone take away the place you write. I don't care how mean they are to you or how stubborn they are, stand your ground. This site should be a hallowed ground for people like us who write. Refuse to leave. Don't let them shove you out the door, don't let anyone give you a bad taste for Mibba. We do not sow is a phrase stolen from Game of Thrones, but it applies. We write, we put our all into this site and the stories on here. Do not let them annoy you to the point where you want to leave. This is as much your home as anyone else's. Stay for that reason.

4.) You're important. I don't care how many comments or recs your story has. I don't care how many friends on this site you have. You're important to this site. You know why? Because you contribute. You are present in the blog pages, you are alive in the stories, you speak your mind in the forums and you become active in reading other peoples stories. You are essential to this place. You're a part of the giant, running machinery that is Mibba, and we need you. Stay for that reason.

5.) You've got nothing to lose. The worst thing that could happen is that someone offends you, someone disagrees with you, and you get upset. Breathe. Close the tab and sign off for a few hours. Get out the annoyance, the sadness or the rage, but remember that everything has bad and good, balance and counter balance. Nothing is perfect, including most of the people and features on this site. At the end of the day, coming online and posting stories, blogs, poems, or talking to people is not a loss. I know that you may get frustrated, or see drama on here, but that's life, right? You will run into the same exact problems outside too. Stay for that reason.

I don't want anyone to leave. I know how it's extremely maddening to get mad at this site and when you feel like it's a constant battle. But writing is a battle in itself. I want you to stay because we all make this place a little bit better. I don't want anyone to leave. I love you guys. You're family.
April 20th, 2014 at 10:31pm