NothingGoldCanStay.

Another winner in my contest, user NothingGoldCanStay has also requested a blog about her as a user. So thanks to her kind participation, I asked her some questions. Here are the responses, so read to find out more about her.


The Questions

*Italics are her quoted responses. Any normal text is a response of mine.

1. When did you start writing?
I’ve always written little things. When I was around six or seven I had a journal and would write poems and short funny stories that are hilariously bad looking back on them. I found Quizilla when I was probably eleven or twelve and that was when I started writing really; mostly one shots and stories that I never finished. So, my real start to writing was when I was eleven or twelve. Starting young is a beautiful thing!

2. How long have you been on Mibba? Do you post your writing on any other sites?
I think I’ve been on Mibba since I was approximately sixteen, so about four or five years now. I stopped posting on Quizilla when the quality level really went down, back when it was taken over by teen nick. I needed a new home for my writing so I turned to Mibba and have been on here ever since. I mainly post on here, because I like the writing environment best. I occasionally post on fanfiction.net and archiveofourown, but it’s almost always after I’ve posted the same story or one shot on here first.

3. Is there anything that constantly inspires you to write?
Watching movies or television shows always inspires me to write my fanfiction, because I love writing about characters that I have an interest in and want to spend more time with. For original fiction I get inspired by dreams, ideas I get from tv or movies, pictures on weheartit, and song lyrics. Sometimes I just start making a random layout with a picture I like and that turns itself into a story. I also get inspired by seeing people on here who have written a lot and it makes me want to write more myself.

4. Do you prefer writing original fiction versus fan fiction? What fan fiction do you enjoy writing?
I like writing both for different reasons. As I said I write fanfiction because I can spend more time with characters I already love. (And I get to write about boys who I think are cute xD) But it’s a bit harder for me personally because I have to stay in character and think of every single aspect of the story closely and remember details from the original work. I love the freedom original fiction brings, because I can create these stories around characters that I completely create from scratch. So, I don’t have a preference really, I love both.

I like writing many types of fanfiction, because I’m a big television and movie buff. On here right now I have fanfiction for the Outsiders, which is my all-time favorite fandom to write for, Footloose, Nip/Tuck, True Blood, A Separate Peace, Pretty in Pink, and Kurt Cobain. But I’m working on stories for the Breakfast Club, Supernatural, Divergent, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, the Hunger Games, the Avengers, Boy Meets World, American Horror Story, Ghost Adventures, Glee, Queer as Folk, Sex Lies and Videotape, James Dean, the Office and Marlon Brando. That’s not including some other ideas I have for fanfictions I want to get started on. As you can see I have a varied taste, and I love writing about 80’s movies and other less popular fandoms.


5. What is your favorite genre to write?
My all-time favorite genre to write in is romance. If it’s a full length story it’s difficult for me not to include romance in their somewhere. For one shots I like writing more depressing stuff like break ups, death, pain, ect. I also love writing angst, and most of my writing involves teenaged people, which probably comes from reading so much young adult literature. I mostly write contemporary which is funny because that’s the opposite of what I read, but I’m trying to branch out into dystopian, paranormal, and maybe even some historical fiction. John Hughes is my inspiration for almost every romance I write, so many of them are set in the eighties. This is the most beautiful answer to a question like this that I've ever seen. Man, you're great. Isn't she great?

6. What is the biggest challenge you face when writing?
Definitely getting the energy up to actually sit down and write. I’m such a bad procrastinator and I tend to end up doing things that involve less thinking when I should be writing. I also very often forget words I’m looking for that I would otherwise be able to think of. And in fanfiction I have a problem remembering certain facts or the orders things happened in. Procrastination is a demon that we all must face. I am with you.

7. Would you ever pursue writing as a career?
I would absolutely love to pursue a writing career. I’m going to college right now and one of my majors is English, so I’m already on that track kind of. If I ever set enough time aside to write an actual novel, I will definitely try and get an agent and publisher and stuff. It will probably be a project of mine sometime after college. That's so great to hear!

8. Besides writing, what are your other hobbies/interests?
I spend a lot of my time reading. I own over 500 hundred books (at least, I haven’t really counted in a while) and I constantly have a book (or two or three) that I’m reading. I also love hanging out with friends, dancing, singing, watching movies, and tv shows, and listening to music.

9. Any particular stories of yours that you'd like to promote?
Right now the stories I’m mainly thinking about (though I haven’t updated for a while due to school, once this semester ends in two weeks I’ll be back to updating regularly though) is Hello, which is a Dallas Winston from the Outsiders story, and Flowers in the Wind which is an original story which takes place in the 1980’s. I also have plenty of one shots and drabbles that I would love for people to take a look at. I’m particularly proud of my one shot Like the Ticking of the Clock which is an A Separate Peace fanfic, but not one that you need to have read the book to understand. Psst I really loved Hello so seriously go. read. it.

10. Is there anything else you'd like to share about yourself?
I love Mibba and the people on here, and am always looking for people to talk to. So if anyone wants to talk or anything feel free to send me a message or comment! Like I said before - absolutely great.

You heard the lady! She's super friendly and a great author, so go check it all out!
April 21st, 2014 at 04:11am