To Anyone Who Has Completed A Story.

So I just first want to applaud you. Seriously. If you stuck through writing a story from beginning to end, especially a long chaptered story, you're awesome and I'm slightly jealous of your abilities.

Some of us have faced many obstacles that have caused us to leave some of our stories unfinished and collecting dust at the bottom of our story list. Writer's block, lack of motivation and just down right procrastination are some of the issues that have hindered me from ending my stories.

Usually I already know HOW I want it to end. My biggest problem is I'm way too detailed in how I want the content in my stories to be. I over embellish sometimes because I like going into depth about things. I guess I'm over ambitious with my stories?

To be brutally honest, I've never completed a story on this site in all the three years I've been posting other than a three shot I completed. Sometimes I'll get half way into a story then just hate it and I'll delete it if I think I can't fix it or find inspiration for it again. I also have stories just sitting there that I WANT to work on, but I just can't it seems.

Honestly I wish I were an author who could write consistently. I know I have the ability and ideas. It's kind of like when you have an idea for something. Say you made an invention. A useful one at that. You've thought up the idea and found that most people would want it. You skip ahead and see the end result of your product being sold in stores and making people's lives more convenient. But you're stuck in the middle of HOW to get your invention out there. That's where I'm at constantly. Stuck in the middle. I can't seem to get over the mid story blues.

For those of you who can see your story through to the end or even update it on a consistent basis, do you have any tips or tricks you could share with us? Do you just freestyle your way or are there special steps you take?
April 23rd, 2014 at 05:14pm