I'll Be Participating in a Poetry Slam Tomorrow.

I'm hella nervous, you guys. You have no idea.

As a writer, stories have always been my focus. I love stories a lot, and I think it's my favorite form of writing. That being said, I write an awful lot of poetry, most of which remains within notebooks and I refuse to post them anywhere, fearing that they are too personal in content, and some too lousy in quality.

I love poetry, and maybe not as much as stories, but it's one of the best ways for me to express myself. And for months I've wanted to do like slam poetry, you know? I'd seen it in movies and on Tv... The poets looked so passionate about their work. And I knew I wanted to express my words more openly like that. And lo and behold, an e-mail comes through my college program (I have college and high school classes) that tells of a Slam Poetry contest.

Now, I'm not really in it for the contest. I just want to be free with my words and speak how I feel. I sent some of my poems to my two English teachers, one of whom is currently my teacher and the other is a previous instructor of mine whom I look at as more of a friend and mentor. They told me which they like best, as did my best friend.

So I chose two of them; one for the main contest and one for the open mic portion. I chose Scorpio and Give Up.

I'm so nervous. I've done public speaking, I've even sang a solo before, and none of that scares me like this does. Any advice?
April 25th, 2014 at 11:41pm