April Favorites

I can't believe I'm actually keeping up with this. AREN'T YOU IMPRESSED? Pft, well I am. Anyways I am in a fabulous mood today because, after several weeks of being in limbo as to whether or not I was accepted into grad school, I found out this morning that I WAS. So now I'm on cloud nine, guzzling this delicious sugar-infused coffee and wearing my new favorite red Keds. It's a good day over here in my neck of the woods so I thought, hey - let's post my favorites blog while I'm being chipper.

A side note for those reading my stories - I am very sorry I haven't updated a lot of them in awhile and I'm attempting to force myself back into my creative mindset. With the weight of trying to get into grad school off my shoulders I can probably get back to it. Of course, that is until grad school starts ... Just kidding. Hopefully. ANYWAYS. I still have prewritten chapters of my Percy Jackson and Stefan Salvatore stories so I will post those until I run out (which might be very soon for Stefan but is fairly far off for Percy).

Sites and Sounds


No, it's not a misspelling - these are some websites I'm logging a lot of time on as well as some music I've been super into lately. Now do you see what I did there? Gosh I'm so clever. JK, I meant cheesy.

1. NeilaRey.com - Oh my gosh. MOST INTENSE WORKOUTS EVER. Seriously, gives Jillian Michaels a run for her money. And you can go ask Noelle (Carpe Diem !) because we have been doing these workouts together and then dying together afterwards because they are crazy. What is so great about these workouts (aside from the fact you KNOW you're getting results because of how sore you are in the morning) is the fact that a lot of them have cute little names/themes. There are superhero ones - Spider-Man, Batman, Aquaman, etc. And then there are pop culture ones like a Tribute workout for Hunger Games or a Lannister one for Game of Thrones. There are also ones you can do during commercial breaks in TV shows or while respawning while playing video games. Even ones you can do in the office. Seriously - a workout for everything.
On top of awesome workouts, there are also 30 day challenges and I am currently doing two. Because I'm dumb but also because I started one and then my good pal Molly asked me to do one with her. But I think challenges are awesome because they push you (or me, at least) to work out every single day and that's important. I need motivation (which is usually Noelle sending me gifs of Sebastian Stan - don't judge me).
ALSO included on this site -- full programs which I'm staying clear of for now, fitness tips, nutrition tips, recipes for healthy foods, and a special little area for runners with tips and programs, etc. Seriously. It's the best workout site I've found. It's getting warmer so I know a lot of girls are trying to get that bikini bod and I would direct you to this site. There's even a training guide to help get you started!

My friend Molly (who has been mentioned once) came to me for workout advice. I laughed at first because I am not in the best shape and I took like 3 months off from working out when I was studying to get into grad school but I'm committed to trying to be healthier and more fit and she knew that and asked for my help. So, what am I getting at? If you want any advice/help/general motivation for working out you can totally come to me. I started out slow with yoga and jogging a mile and then worked up to more intense and area specific stuff and I think that's important. YOGA IS AMAZING. If you don't want something mega intense where you are dying afterwards and can't move then I suggest Jillian Michaels' Power Yoga DVD (I got mine for like $10 at Target and a mat for like $15 and you definitely need a mat) on level one. I still struggle with some of the moves but just take it easy and it's a great workout to get you lean all over.

2. NastyGal.com - WHY IS EVERYTHING ON THIS SITE SO AWESOME AND EXPENSIVE?? Seriously, why does stuff cost money? This site is basically what a baby from Urban Outfitters and Forever 21 would be. And since I love both of those shops more than I care to admit, I am now obsessed. I found it when I was searching for platform sneakers (those that Baby Spice wore to be specific because she is my spirit animal) and now I just go on and stare at things I can't afford. Now stuff I DEFINITELY cannot afford since I'm going back to school. And, I have to kind of buy teacher-y clothes now since I have very little. Luckily, I adore teacher clothes and when I become a teacher and make more money I can then buy fun clothes.

For a few sounds --
1. Lana Del Rey - I know, I'm late to this party. But, that is my style. My mom and I have been jamming out to some Lana every time we get in the car together. I actually bought her CD after listening to a Lana station on Pandora and going - hey, this broad is pretty rad. And I was prepping for a road trip (which sadly fell through) and bought it. But, I am so happy I did because for like a week straight it was all I could listen to. And then I bought the most recent Arctic Monkeys CD and it was see ya later, Lana. But still - I know how trendy she is and how that stuff usually annoys me but she actually deserves it. Her voice is amazing and the music is unique and cool and I just love everything about it. "Lolita" is probably one of my favorite songs by her right now but it changes frequently. I will say I prefer the Born to Die CD to the other one (Paradise, is it? I can't recall).

2. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - I'm not sure if I put them on my first music list, but I probably did. Who cares? Who even read it? Whatever. They are one of my all-time favorite bands. I absolutely love them and I actually got to see them live last summer which is INSANE because they rarely ever travel to Ohio and they are even better live than they are recorded. Seriously, so amazing. They have this southern rock feel to them which I am obsessed with and their lyrics are amazing. I don't have any particular favorite songs because I love every single thing they do but if I had to pick right now, I would probably say "Lose Yourself" off their newest album because I can't stop listening to that one (Specter at the Feast - it's awesome go buy it).

3. Florence + the Machine - For some more girl power, I'll put up good ol' Florence because she's fantastic. Is there anyone in the world who doesn't absolutely love her? I doubt it. I want to be friends with her. She's stunning AND crazy talented. I could listen to her music constantly (and have before) and never get sick of it. Everything she turns out is phenomenal and it hurts me to know I'll never be that talented at anything haha. But for real - so wonderful. Love it all. "Seven Devils" is, hands down, my favorite. Always will be until she puts out another album. Which, seriously, PUT OUT ANOTHER CD BEFORE I GO MAD PLEASE?

TV/Movies


I'm gonna be straight with you - I haven't watched much new TV or movies this month. I bought a Roku for my TV so I'm constantly re-watching things on Netflix. It was the most dangerous purchase I have made in some time.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - I did manage to go and see this (twice - don't judge me) and I am obsessed. Just like everyone else, it would seem. Now, I grew up loving comics but I will admit that the Captain was never one of my favorites. I knew about him and the comic but I never got into it. (Spidey, X-Men, and Batman for me). I also didn't really care for the first Captain movie. I loved Bucky, duh, but I was just kind of meh about it. It was fine but not something I wanted to watch over and over again. But this one? I saw it twice in two weeks I think? They did SUCH an amazing job. Like, every single aspect was PERFECT. And Falcon? HELLO HANDSOME. Like, come on, Marvel, put in an ugly duckling every now and then and give us girls a chance!
Of course, he doesn't hold a flame to Bucky for me who I am convinced I'm in love with. I don't care that he's fictional. Seeing the movie was bad for me, though, because now I'm working on a Bucky TRILOGY. You heard me. It started out as a two-part story (mentioned in a previous blog) and has now spiraled out of control into a trilogy. Can you really blame me?

2. Game of Thrones - (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS) Finally, my Jon Snow has come back to me. Unfortunately, I have yet to watch any of the new episodes but I swear I'm going to get right on it haha. I absolutely love this world they created with REAL characters. Characters to legitimately hate, who are terrible to each other and vindictive and blood thirsty and all the things that make humans HUMAN. I love shows with grit. Because, let's be real, especially in olden times people were huge dicks to each other. Especially royalty. And there were sociopaths (hello, JOFFREY) and then there were tragic people who lost everything (hello ALL THE STARK CHILDREN, which includes Jon for me) and then there were people trying to steal the throne with legitimate claims (or otherwise - Baratheons, Daenarys, etc.). Like, it's so real I want to punch something I love it so much.
Not to mention all the babes. Even though my dear dear Robb ... ugh. Still hurts. Jon, Jaime, Renley (ugh that one hurt, too). There are others but it's been awhile so leave me alone.

3. The Office & CSI: NY - I know these are both old but remember when I said I was rewatching things? These are such things I have been watching again. I started with CSI: NY which was something like 190 40-some minute episodes haha. This is the only CSI that I truly loved. Detective Flack - YUM. I was really sad when it got cancelled because they were in the middle of a season which means they never had a series finale. Like, it just cuts off. Nothing. Nada. I have no closure and it kills me.
Now, I'm watching The Office again which is another 180-190 episodes but luckily they are only like 20 minutes long so I'm breezing through it. I'm almost finished, actually. I forgot how much I love the older seasons. Like right when Jim and Pam get together. Ugh, Jim. Almost as perfect as Ben Wyatt from Parks & Rec. The both of them make it impossible for like any regular dude, you know?

Boys


This is the Aging-Like-A-Fine-Wine edition of Favorite Guys. It is exactly what it sounds like - the older gents that I sooooo wanna be with. Age ain't nothin' but a number.

1. Timothy Olyphant - DUH. Like, I know I've put him in past blogs so are words necessary here? No, probably not. I love him. That is all.

ImageImage
THIS IS ME EVERY TIME I GO OUT TO A BAR. NO JOKE.
ImageImage


2. Robert Downey Jr. - Iron-Man (or is it Iron Man?) himself. There is seriously no one better in this world to play Tony Stark. I remember a looong time ago my mom and I used to watch this show called Ally McBeal and he was on it (I'm talking like mid-90s I think) and he looks SO YOUNG. And then I look at him now and I'm like ... OMG you are way hotter now. Probably helps that he's not on drugs anymore.

Image
OMG WHY YOU SO PRECIOUS
Image
I actually don't know if this is sexy or awkward.


3.Leonardo DiCaprio - I don't think anyone will disagree that Leo is the best thing on the planet. He was beautiful as a gangly teen on Growing Pains (which is when I fell hopelessly in love with him) and even moreso now as a suave adult. He is, without question, my longest running crush. I have adored him for more than half of my life which I feel grants me him. Like, right? I know I'm not a lingerie model like he's used to but those end for a reason and he should just love me back now. On top of being gorgeous, he is an insanely good actor and it bums me out he still hasn't won an Oscar. I loathe award shows but I know what a big deal it is and he deserves one. And my lips on his. I mean what?

Image
ALWAYS
Image
And again, ALWAYS.
Image


I have not yet compiled a list of stories but I'm going to probably post that in a separate blog. This afternoon I'm going to try and write so I will have stories on the mind!

Thanks for reading!
xoxo, Erin
April 27th, 2014 at 07:28pm