Recent Struggles (Novel Ideas, Too)

I know I've talked about it like a bajillion times but this may be the last time ever so bear with me, please. I have been working for the past five months on getting into graduate school for elementary education and I passed all the tests, was accepted to my college of choice, and then I talked to financial aid. I think it is absolutely atrocious the cost of college these days. My master's degree was going to come out to almost $70,000.

Now, if I was married to Sebastian Stan or Zac Efron they might pay for it but I'm not. I'm poor and still paying off my loans from my bachelor's degree. And, would you like to know what is truly humorous? I got $480 in grants. THAT'S ALL. I laughed through my tears when I found that out. Then I proceeded to just cry and sleep the rest of the afternoon. But, seriously. How can you charge seventy thousand dollars for an education master's degree? WE WON'T EVEN MAKE THAT BACK IN A YEAR OF WORKING. The average salary of an elementary teacher in Ohio? $40,000. Un-freaking-believable.

So, my dream has been crushed into the tiniest of bits and I continue to tell myself that everything happens for a reason and I'm meant for something else and blah blah blah. I'm trying so hard to stay positive and keep my head up but I'm in agony over here. So, to try and promote happiness and move forward in trying to do something meaningful with my life that has to do with my passions (I got winded just typing that) I have decided to actually sit down and focus on writing a novel.

So, what I would like to take a moment to talk about is my options as far as novels go. I have three ideas that I have toyed with making into novels and they are as such -

1. Heartbeats. I posted about this a bit ago, a Sebastian Stan original story. The basic premise is this - he was an up and coming hockey player, a real hot shot and due to be a first round draft in the NHL, when he suffered a serious fatal attack in college and needed a heart transplant. A few years later, when they are sure it was a good match and that his body wouldn't reject it, he decides to go and find the family of the person who got his donated heart to thank them somehow. What he finds, instead of a family, is just one girl who hasn't had parents in years and her grandmother is off in a home. The heart that now resides in his chest belonged to her sister who died. Obviously, this will be an emotional story about loss and love and truth and family and all that jazz. I hope to make it touching and beautiful and I think it would come out well as a novel. I would like your opinions.

2. The Six. I started this story awhile ago but I haven't touched it in ages because I'd like to revamp it and start again. I like the overall idea but I think I need to fill it out more and really plot out how things are going to go because it's a very complicated story with 6 main characters (and that's just the good guys). The plot is this - six kids suffer a freak accident at their high school in Lake Placid, NY and after being hospitalized discover that they now have all been gifted with a super power. Each only have one, kind of like X-Men, but they are choosing to ignore them. Well, most are trying to ignore them. But, over the past couple years it has become apparent that it's easier said than done and some of them are experiencing growth and it's becoming dangerous. But, also, an evil threat is stirring. Because it's not a superhero story without a serious fatal threat to all mankind. Ja feel? Tell me what chu thinkin.

3. The City That Never Sleeps. This is the mafia story (with face claim Colin Farrell because YUM) that I spoke about a long time ago but have yet to start because, again, it is complicated and needs thorough plotting out. Mafia, to me, is always fun to write. I love it. I've tried it a few times but I always fail. This time I refuse to fail. The basic plot - Colin is a big player in the Irish mafia, recently moved to NYC where the Irish have moved from Boston when the heat pressed on them too much and also to expand their empire. But, the Italians have had claim over NYC for many decades so they aren't that thrilled about the Irish presence. Colin's character (Kian Finnegan, if you care to know) has just arrived in the city under the guise of a dock worker and moves across the hall from an unassuming, but not so innocent, stripper named Remy Cole. Who, unknowingly, works at a club owned and operated by the boss' only son (face claim JGL because DUH), Luca Falcone. Another supporting character's face claim includes Cillian Murphy as the Irish boss' son, Ronan McDougall. Thoughts? Gimme.

I would really love opinions on which to go for. It's all kind of up in the air. I'm going to spend the next few days thinking about this and coming to a decision (I'm giving myself only one week to figure this out before plotting needs to begin). And then after a decision has come, I am going to need all of your help keeping me on track with this. I have a serious problem of letting writing slip through my fingers when it comes to bigger things like a novel so all help, motivation, encouragement is welcome. Get mean with me if you have to. I need it. I've lost grad school so I really need to keep one of my passions alive and that is to be published. So help. Please.

And I will reward you with a sneak peek of my next fan fiction. It involves the one and only Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man. Now, yes you should have knowledge of Spidey either from his movies or the comics. I'm going to have elements of both and this follows right after the new one that just came out. If you don't watch or know the storyline then you will have some serious spoilers. So, yeah, just be warned. Okay, you ready for the sneak preview? It's super small. You have the power and responsibility to click me.

Thank you so much for reading my sad ramblings. I can't wait to hear your thoughts an opinions on anything that's in this blog. I hope you've all had a much better day than I have and continue to have an amazing week.

xoxo, Erin
May 14th, 2014 at 04:39am