My Mum Keeps Telling Me She Wants to Die.

My mum is sick. She's in the hospital at the moment, been so for the past few days. She has a multitude of health problems the most major one of which is end stage kidney disease (she has flat out refused dialysis as a way to treat that). On top of that she has type 2 Diabetes and Hypertension.

A few days ago, before we managed to convince her to go to the hospital, I was up with her trying to help her out. She'd been staying up vomiting and trying to breathe. After a particularly violent bout of retching, she held my hand and asked me to let her go. She asked me, basically, to let her die. That it was her turn now, that she needed to go and that she was tired of living as she was - as sick as she was - any more.

I stay with her in the hospital at nights and most of the days so I see how she is. She acts like she's given up, guys. Like she isn't going home any more. Like she doesn't want to go home any more.

Now I studied psychology. So I understand that this could be her coping mechanism and that all she needs right now is patience and encouragement. But how do you encourage someone who seems to have already given up, guys? How do you tell her to keep fighting or stay positive when she's convinced herself that there is no other way out?

I am so tired, Mibba. I am, just flat out, tired. I want her to get better. I want her to want to get better. I'm running out of positivity to run on, here. Just. Something just needs to give, please.
May 27th, 2014 at 02:53am