I Am a Feminist.

Take that in.

Not only am I feminist, but a black feminist at that. That's a whole category within the feminist movement itself. I fit into multiple categories of the feminism realm, actually. If you haven't, you should take the feminist quiz. I found it fun.

Anyway, before I get carried away. I am a proud feminist.

That does not automatically make me a man hater.

Or someone who necessarily has bad relations with men.

Or a topless baring screaming person who says FUCK YOU to anyone who disagrees with my views.

Or a whiny crier and complainer.

It just means I am a person (cause, you know, you don't have to identify as a woman to be one) who believes in the political, economic, and social equality of women.

As in a woman has the right to choose whatever lifestyle she wants to.

So you wanna be a bikini wearing stripper who depends on men for the rest of her life?

Go on, girl. Get down with your bad self.

You wanna be a conservative bio-chemist asexual who doesn't need one?

Be it.

Sweet to the core epitome of feminine housewife?

Preach it.

And any and everything in between.

I just feel like people believe feminism is this one size fits all thing where you HAVE to be this ultra-radical person who hates any and everything about modern western society.

No!

That is not it. Feminism, at least to me, is like a customizable dress. You alter, add, and change it until it becomes something you are confident, happy, and proud to bear.

Feminism is not a bad thing. Don't be scared of the word and calling yourselves that. It can be as simple and subtle or loud and bold as you want it to be.

And that's the thing I think you, mibbs, don't get.

Feminism is about the uplifting and supporting of the woman (and child) in a hyper masculine society. It is meant to take away the gender stereotypical roles that oppress both men and women as a whole.

So yes, men can and do benefit from feminism.

Am I making sense? I hope I'm making sense.

So, yeah. Being a feminist isn't bad as many of you view it to be. I would go into a hella lot more detail but I rather it be more of a Q&A aspect in the blog where it can be more interactive.

Also, while I'm on the subject.

You do not have to be personally oppressed by men to support feminism.

Just because you have personally not been oppressed by someone, you're going to not support and help those who have?

Why?

Someone please, explain.

I'm dead serious. Let's talk it out.
June 1st, 2014 at 07:17am