Outlining Stories

As writers, I think we all know that there are about 187923 different ways to outline a story. In fact, some people just don't outline at all. There are outlines that are super detailed and contain nearly every element of the story, and there are outlines that only contain snippets of info that the author wants to add in at some point. I've even seen outlines that only contain the beginning and the ending, and everything else is left up to chance.

Everyone has something that works for them, and personally I am the type that likes to outline as much as I possibly can. I'm the same way in real life - I like to have everything detailed and I would keep a minute by minute schedule if I could. I'm not a spontaneous person at all, so having a detailed outline really helps me with the writing process.

I also find that it helps me avoid writer's block. I never hit that stage where I don't know what to do next (which seems to be what a lot of writer's block is) because I already have it written on my outline what's going to come next.

I might be a little weird for my style, though. What do you guys like to do for your outlines? Do you outline at all?
June 2nd, 2014 at 06:26pm