The Fine Line Between Fiction and Reality.

There is a fine line between fiction and reality. I mean, I could be writing something based off of a real experience and it could still be fiction. I could change the name of the people. I could change the location. I could change what was said, what they were doing, I could change basically anything. Either way, it'd still be a work of fiction. The only way it could be reality is that I tell everything word from word of what really happened. Even then, it may not be all the truth. Not everyone's memory serves them perfectly.

I'm going to do two small examples with this.
Numero Uno: The Non-Fiction
Ashley, my younger sister, and I went to the local Dairy Queen and got two blizzards. Mine was one mixed with Heath Bar and her's was a chocolate chip cookie dough one. We sat at the table in the very back corner with our ice creams and talked about how she was doing with Jon (her boyfriend) and the stupid things that Jeremy (my boyfriend) did. It was hot outside so we filled our cups with ice before leaving the restaurant.

Numero Dos: The Fiction
Anna and her older sister, Jenny, stopped by the local ice cream shop and picked up two cones of ice cream. Anna enjoyed pieces of cookies in her's while Jenny liked candy. The two of them sat in the woods talking out boys and when they were finished with their frozen treats, they asked the ice cream maker if they could have the spare ice that he wasn't using later to cool off in the summer sun.

See, they're basically the same story, but one is fiction and on is not. Most of you must be wondering by now why I'm going on about the difference between fiction and reality so I might as well tell you. Earlier this week, two 12 year old girls from Wisconsin attempted to kill one of their classmates because they wanted to be "proxies" of Slenderman. If you want more information on the entire situation, click this link.

I can't wrap my head around the topic. I mean, Slenderman was spawned from a "supernatural photoshop" contest in 2009. Since then, he's became a Creepypasta all around the internet, causing stories, fan art, toys, even movies to form in the minds of the creative. He was a work of fiction, but a damn well good one, I've got to say. I... I just never expected people to go out killing for it because they believed that this person was real. I mean, the definition of Creepypasta is basically the same as a chain letter. If you've ever heard of the story of Bloody Mary, you would know that each time, it ends differently (depending on who you hear it from). I've heard that she'll come and kill you if you chant her name in front of the bathroom mirror. In Supernatural, Mary made the person's eyes bleed and eventually killed them only if they had killed someone before. The original legend though, was back in historic days, an unmarried woman would walk up a staircase of a darkened house with only a hand mirror and a candle. Legend says she would see her future husband's face, but if she was doomed to die before she was wed, she'd see a skull or perhaps the Grim Reaper.

Another thought that I can't seem to place in mind is what the girls thought. If you ignored the article above, the girls believed that Slenderman lived in a mansion in Nicolet National Forest in northern Wisconsin. I don't know exactly where they got that idea, but the question is, what if they had got away? What if the girl had died in the forest after being stabbed 19 times? What if her body was found too late and the girls were already long gone? What would happen if they never found the mansion? Three girls would be dead and there would be nothing that they could do about it.

I... I just can't believe it. My sister is 13 and she's still scared of Slenderman. I mean, I know when I was 12, I was attracted to the scary. Committing murder though, yeah, that wasn't even close on my list. Never did I think that someone could blur the lines of fiction and reality so much that it makes my head hurt.

Rant over. I need like twice as many cookies as last time.

-Kayla VI
June 4th, 2014 at 03:21am