So, I Saw The 1975 Last Night.

And maybe I'm "too old" for this type of stuff, but I've never been more disappointed in a collective group of people in my entire life.

The band has exploded in the last few months, to say the least. That much is obvious. I'm assuming it's a mixture of things: they've been everywhere, they're hanging out with big artists (One Direction), word of mouth, etc. That's fine. They're great musicians and great people and they deserve all the success they've got.

But yesterday was an absolute shit-show. Before the actual concert, they did a small in-store acoustic show and signing at a record store in Baltimore. My friend and I made the two-hour trip down and met up with Kate, who'd been there since ~9am. The show was supposed to start at 6PM, and the band arrived promptly at 5. All hell broke loose.

They spent some time perusing the store and every time Matty would walk by the front windows, a billion girls shoved their way to the front of the line and started taking pictures through the glass. Okay, fine, maybe they're just excited. A girl behind me said, either to me or Kate, "If these girls don't move I'm pulling their hair." Lol, no you're not.

Anyway, so once the doors finally open, the group of girls literally shove everyone out of the way and stampede their way to the front. It was absolute chaos. All the while they're screaming stuff like "OH MY GOD MATTY I LOVE YOU!" and "OMG LITERAL LOVES OF MY LIFE!" and "OH MY GOD HE'S SO TINY AND PERFECT AND ADORABLE!" Man, I get being excited to see a band/artist you look up to. I feel that way every time I see Brand New, but this was some other-level type stuff. It literally never stopped.

Matty and Hann played three acoustic songs and at some point after one of them had finished, the girl standing behind me screamed out "F*** ME RIGHT IN THE ASS!" It wasn't jokingly, she legitimately was screaming for Matty Healy to have anal sex with her. And she was still in high school.

Like I said, maybe I'm getting old. Maybe I'm jaded at 22 and expected people to act more mature, but it was one of the worst concert-going experiences of my life. And you could tell the band is getting fed up with it, too. Every time someone would yell something to Matty, he'd shush them and just say, "Ok." I can't imagine how horrifying it is to have a teenaged girl yell at you to do her in the butt.

I know teenaged girls get a lot of shit. I was one at some point. But it was sheer insanity to me. I've been to One Direction concerts that weren't as bad as yesterday was. (Disclaimer: I know 1D fans do some really intense stuff. I'm speaking purely from an experience standpoint.) I really can't imagine what makes someone think yelling that kind of stuff is okay. It blows my mind. Not only is it inappropriate to say to someone, but it's inappropriate — in my humble opinion — for a 16-year-old girl to scream at a 24-year-old guy to f*** her in the butt.

I don't know what the point is here. Like I said, you can tell the band/Matty are getting fed up with it and it's all just a mess. The 1975 are one of my favorite bands ever and the fan base makes me never want to see them live again. They put on an incredible show but it's not worth putting up with the extracurriculars. How's that saying go; "One rotten apple spoils the barrel"? Yup, that's it exactly.
June 7th, 2014 at 02:03am