Growing in Love Until the Day I Die: Passions

Well this is quite odd. A very odd predicament I find myself in writing a blog for the first time. It feels weird writing this exact sentence knowing someone else will see it, read it, perhaps like, and even more perhaps, hopefully, get something out of it.

Throughout my rapidly finishing career of being an undergrad student at Emmanuel College I have learned much, and I feel the need to write it all down. It won’t all be subjective; I will try and make it as objective, as truthful, and as meaningful as possible.

With that said… I shall begin.

In my walk as a Christian I have come to understand a multitude of things about God, life, and I as I’m sure everyone does.

To cut straight to the point, I want to talk about my most recent revelation that I keep stumbling over again and again. And that is passions. What it is that we all possess in any shape or form, that we have done over and over, and more importantly is the most frightening thing to let other people see?

One good example is a friend of mine, if I even have the honor of calling friend, Timothy Driggers. If ever I have met someone who has the talent to sing, and if I had the moral reign to covet someone’s gift, it would be his voice.

I enjoy listening to this gift of his in action. Whether he is passionately singing on a stage, recording a song for YouTube, or fooling around while going through his day, I could listen to it all day long.

And that is no exaggeration. But more to the point that is his passion, and he is good at his passion. He can sing without trying, and he loves it. His love and passion drive him to be an excellent, if not the best, singer for God in my eyes.

Well I said I would try not to be subjective but right now it looks like I am a big geeky fan of one of God’s people, and not glorifying the Creator who made Mr. Driggers. Let me reassure you although somewhat biased, God uses so many people and have used so many people. Tim is another blessed believer that shall praise God with his talents and will be remembered just as well as any other famous or non-famous performer.

I say that so I can establish my objectiveness. But now back to my colleague, he uses his passions; he has always used his passions. He will be able to look back in his life and say that singing has always been his niche. He has gone to school to enhance his talent. He knows how to play various instruments; he can hear harmonies with his trained ear, and other things he didn’t know before. For me, my passion is writing.

Granted I didn’t always know this passion of mine, but I can look back to the earliest years of my life and find that writing has always been there for me, and I’ve always had a passion for it. More importantly I am very frightened of putting my writing for people to see.

Thus writing this blog is what I am doing to further God’s kingdom. Now I am going to switch into a bit of second person. Find your passion. Find a talent that has been with you for as long as you can remember. You may have one, or you may have many. Whatever you find you will know by these incentives: It will drive you to pursue God. It will get you out of bed. You love to do it.

And by loving I mean can do it for hours upon hours upon hours upon hours. Those three are the best indicators that I believe will show you just what passions and talents God has placed in your life.

Allow me to place some Scripture for the purpose of study and meditation on your part. Since we talked about talents, I will place the story that may seem very familiar, and if it isn’t then I highly encourage you glance at the parable of the talents: Matthew 25:14-30 and/or Luke 19:12-27 God is the master; we are the servants whom he entrusts his talents to.

Also I will end with this verse: Colossians 3:17: “Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord.”
June 10th, 2014 at 09:23pm