Amateur(ish) Bible Study: Drives in the New Testament

So another revelation has surface while reading the book of 2 Corinthians. Around what we know as the 9th chapter Paul is speaking to the churches in Jerusalem to give to help out the poor in the same town. In short he wrote that he wants them to give earnestly, how their giving will help the people, and he will send someone so they will send what they promised.

As the chapter was done, it was apparent how different this chapter seemed. It seemed like an intimate formal letter for a Drive. This is one of the few times that a organization within the Christians is seen in the Bible. Paul was addressing the people to be ready to have their gifts ready for the Drive for he was having someone to come and collect it. For what they were coming to collect for the Drive we don’t know, the only word we have to go off is gift.

Therefore the Drive could have been anything- Food Drive, Money Drive, Clothing Drive, Cattle Drive, etc. Whatever the case, this means that even in the New Testament times, there were ‘Angel Food Drives’ Spaghetti Dinner Donations’ ‘Salvation Armys’ ‘Goodwills’ and all were under the organization of the church.

Needless to say the early Christians realized the importance of organization, but also its significance in the grand scheme of things. Not once did Paul mention the name of a church, business, group, gathering, or anything thing of the sort. He addressed them about what mattered, giving earnestly, out of their heart, and for the good of others rather than themselves. He also noted even more importantly how God loves a cheerful giver, and explains to them how by their giving, they are helping to, according to the modern day term, ‘furthering the kingdom’.
June 10th, 2014 at 09:39pm