Writing Around Others [Questions at End]

I can't write around others. Well. If I'm at one side of the living room on my laptop and my brother is at the other and we're facing eachother, I can...But that's probably only because he can't see what I'm writing at all. If there's any possibility of someone seeing what I'm writing, I can't. For example, I always get my best ideas and motivation when I have a free period in the common room in my college, but I can't write it because I don't want my friends seeing.

I'm not sure why I'm so odd about it - my friends all read fic, they all know I write it and one of my friends has written Destiel in the common room before (not something I ship, though). I think maybe it's because I write OFCs? They tend to be looked down upon for some reason and branded as self inserts, so maybe I'm worried about them thinking like that? It could also be because I write band member and actor fic instead of fictional character fic - a few of them have said they think fanfic of real people is creepy (they don't know I write it). That's the main reason I'm so wary of letting them read my stuff in general, I think. I'd love to let them read some of my stuff otherwise.

The only other thing I can think of is that I write romance, which I don't think they suspect. I'm not a very romantic person. I'm seventeen and I've never been in any kind of relationship that wasn't platonic due to my social anxiety causing me to struggle to meet people in the first place and my general lack of interest ibeing in a relationship. It's not something I want to put the effort into. I'd rather read romance than live it and I'm not sure they'd understand.

Questions!
1. Do your friends know you write fanfic? Do they know you write in general?
2. ^ If yes how do they feel about it? Have they ever read any of your stuff?
3. Do you feel comfortable writing around others?
June 13th, 2014 at 08:46am