My Worst Childhood Nightmare

When I was a kid, I loved this musical called Cats. I still do, clearly. (Mr Mistofelees and Rum Tum Tugger are gay for each other and there's nothing you can do to change that.)

If you've seen Cats or read the Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats poem, you know who Macavity the Mystery Cat is. In case you don't:

Image

Sorry. Bit scary isn't he? I adored all the Jellicles, especially Mistofelees, all but Macavity. I have a very distinct memory of leaving the TV on while I went to have a bath, and then sitting on the stairs crying because I could hear the music to the fight between Munkustrap and Macavity. He terrified me. I couldn't bear the sight of him.

I would have this one reoccurring nightmare. A few nights ago, I had this same nightmare. My dad and I are running down a pitch black corridor. Everything is moving frightfully quickly. And Macavity is chasing us, except he's white all over. Then suddenly we're in a room, and my friends are there. I know this room. My grandparent's used to own this building where Guide packs would stay on their holidays. The room is the one on the furthest end of the corridor, and it's very bright and full of bunk beds. My dad hides me and all my friends, and the white Macavity bursts through the door. I can't remember what he wanted with us, but my dad convinces Macavity we're not there. And that's it.

Does anyone have any idea what all that means? Why is Macavity white?? I've started watching Cats again and Macavity still scares me. I've had this nightmare since I was a kid, does that mean anything? It's stressing me out because I don't want to be afraid of him anymore.

-Christian x
June 15th, 2014 at 12:18am