[ Insert Attention-Grabbing Title Here ]

Did I get your attention? DID I ACTUALLY GET CLICKED? YAY. My blogs are normally passed over/never commented on. HOPEFULLY THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN THIS TIME. Moving on.

I've made a blog or two before about starting a new story. This time, I'm srs. Srs bsns. I said that about the last one, but...I don't know. The muse for it died off pretty quickly because of issues. BUT NO MATTER. I've got another story idea, and I'd really like some input on it, if you guys have time. I bought a new game that I play with my brother - it's called Dungeon Siege III. I don't know how many of you might have heard of it or played it, but from what I can tell, the fandom is super super super tiny. Like, four stories total on fanfiction.net tiny.

IS THAT GOING TO STOP ME? NOOOOOO.

My idea is to approach this "fanfiction" like an original story, since I know very few people have played/know about the game. It's fantasy, with a tyrant ruler and war and fantastical creatures and such. I just have a few problems with that idea, so I'm kind of...okay, very much on the fence about what I should do. I can't decide if I want to go off on my own and write a completely original story that's only been influenced/inspired by some bits of the game, or call it an outright fanfiction and go ahead with all that stuff. I'm really, really torn, so have some of my points of reasoning!

1. Some people may be turned away from reading it simply because it's listed as "fanfiction" and it's not something they know - my biggest reason for wanting to label it "inspired original".
2. I do want to expand on/create new information about one of the species in the game, so it may be considered AU on top of that (and I think the species is already something that's...like a legend? Like, it's not completely original to the game. I think).
3. I wouldn't be following along the storyline of the game very much, because I'm more interested in developing this one character and her species.
4. I'd already planned on changing the name of this character from the game, mostly because I dislike her given name. Her appearance, voice, and personality would all stay the same - this is my biggest reason for labeling it a fanfiction. I don't want to create a new personality because I love the one she's got.
5. I also want to expand the world far past what I know. I want to add new species and creatures and magic and such.

But, I don't know. I really don't. So, I need opinions from you guys! If you hadn't read this, would you be turned away from a fanfiction that's not something you're familiar with? Would you be more inclined to read it if I specified in the short description that it's approached like an original fiction? If I did go with original fiction, do you guys think it would be really bad of me/plagiarism if I had the lead character be so heavily molded from one of the mains from the game? What are your thoughts on all of this in general?

Thanks for reading! Now drop me some comments, darlings. 8D
June 27th, 2014 at 09:47am