"Other Kids Who Have Killed Themselves for Better Reasons Than That"

I am so ashamed of people right now. I've been physically ill all day, but this is by far the sickest feeling I've felt yet.

I don't know if any of you guys have ever seen this certain channel on YouTube (I guess they do Teen Reactions to videos. I'll look into it further after I finish this.), but I was just watching the one they did about Amanda Todd's video that she posted a month before she killed herself. I'd already seen the clip, and it is truly sad, but the reactions that some of them had got me pretty hard. But actually, I'll come back to that point later on.

Okay, on to the real thing that pissed me off. There was one person who appeared "alternative" (is that the right word? I don't even know because I don't care) and she honest to god was the most ignorant, disrespectful and, of all things, STEREOTYPICAL human beings I've seen on the internet. That's obviously an exaggeration, but right now, it doesn't feel like it.

Before I begin, I want to state that I am not condemning this girl for her thoughts. These are my opinions and I accept that I may have misinterpreted or misjudged. Nevertheless, it doesn't take away from my issue with the overall topic. She's not even the reason why I'm riled up. This is a concept I've been nagging on for a while now, and I only have the motivation now to discuss it. If there is an problem in a way with how I worded my viewpoint, I'm completely open to insight and criticism. Further, if this is seen by others as bashing, forgive me because I had no intentions. I'll take this down if it offends.

Anywho, let us review.

1.) Ignorance. I'm not about to call this girl downright stupid (because she's not. In fact, I was surprised at her harsh words because I instantly presumed her to be a thoughtful intellectual), but I am calling her out. Ignorance is not stupidity, and I am by no means trying to squash her...but the girl actually said that the best way to stop bullying was to find the bullies and blow them up...because that's clearly rational and smart. "If they would just start to notice the bullies, take them and blow them up then it would stop." Based off of this, I assume she thinks this is a better reason to die, then? I get that she was probably trying to be the snarky person she really comes off to be, but making jokes in this case is not funny...ever. She didn’t even say it in that comedic of a matter. She didn’t even try. It’s just…most bullies have their own problems. She said herself that she has become very mean (and it shows) after she couldn't fit in at school, so does that imply that SHE would need to be blown up as well? No one deserves to that...I mean unless you are a cruel, evil being who mass murders, terrorizes etc...but even then, I think those people have to right to rot in jail rather than execution.

I digress. Back to the main topic: our girl, the opinionated.

2.) DISRESPECT. This is what disgusted me most, hence why I named my blog after it. When she was asked how it made her feel to hear Amanda Todd’s story, the girl actually went on about how—Wait, let me just get a quote because I don't even want to paraphrase this. She spoke these exact words (omitting one stutter): "She's so internet famous now and whatever, yet other kids have killed themselves for better reasons than that...like..like no one gives a s*** about them, y'know?" AM I WRONG IN THINKING THAT THIS IS A HORRID THING TO SAY WHEN ASKED A SERIOUS QUESTION (that everyone else answered respectfully and thoughtfully, mind you) ABOUT A GIRL WHO KILLED HERSELF??? Not to mention, the part that I made the title? Yeah, she said it in this snippy tone and I just wanted to throw her ridiculousness out the door and tell her to never come back.

3.) Stereotype. Before I begin, I just wanna say have nothing against the style she wears (kinda grungy, “hipster”-y…piercings, beanie, dorky glasses and all). In fact, if it wasn’t for the fact that I’ve become extremely lazy in terms of my appearance, I’d wear something like that every day. Heck, I actually do wear that stuff about half the time! But I guess my problem with this is that it’s this alternative subculture that allows themselves to be beaten over the head with radical opinions and ideas that they don’t even think about anymore. Not that other people don’t and not that all of them do, but I’ve just personally noticed it to be more prevalent with the alternative youth. She even used the word ‘overrated’ to describe bullying. That is perhaps one of the most stereotypically “hipster” things a person could ever say. Not only that, but it’s contradictory to her other arguments. Specifically the opinion I used to title this blog. If it’s overrated, then why do the victims matter so much?

God, I just can’t stand for this carelessness. We’re all allowed our own thoughts, and I’ll admit that my biased views may have affected how I received this to an extreme. Even if they did however, I just want to stress to people that if you want to come out and say things, really get to know your stance before you voice it. Research, listen, read, and form your OWN opinions.

Thank you to those who read this.

xx poison
June 29th, 2014 at 07:29am