Mayday Parade; Are You a Fan?

I discovered Mayday Parade probably three years ago now. I was raised on country music and to this day I still like it, but I was never exposed to any other kinds of music when I was growing up, so finding a different kind of music that I liked much better was exciting. I was tired of listening to the same twangy voices and the same rhythms.

Anyway, I found Mayday Parade and I was just struck by how unique they were compared to everything I grew up listening to, and by how beautiful and heartfelt their lyrics are. I mean, "My tongue is weak and every time I try to speak I can't say nothing at all. Sleep well my friend, there will be another moment we'll meet again. Sleep well, good night, you're something to remember. I wish that you were here by my side." Come on, that is heartwrenching. And I suppose I have a thing for sad songs. I just love songs that make me feel.

Mayday Parade opened the door for me to discover all of my current favorite bands like Sleeping With Sirens, A Day to Remember, The Maine, Set it Off, Memphis May Fire, Pierce the Veil. All of these bands are the polar opposite of what I grew up listening to, and their music fits me. It just does. I feel like I can wear their lyrics as a blanket to keep me warm in this sometimes frigid world.

The only person I know who likes the same type of music as me is a girl at school whom I dislike very much. I would just really love to meet people with the same taste in music as me. It sucks when my friends say something that reminds me of song lyrics and I start singing it, and they look at me like I've lost it.
June 30th, 2014 at 02:04am