The Most Romantic Thing

For some reason I can't stop thinking about this. Maybe it's because I've been listening to The Beach Boys a lot lately. I just kind of need to get it out of my head.

I've had a few boyfriends and girlfriends but all of the relationships were sort of warped in one way or another. But when I was 14, I met this 13 year old Scottish boy online through my Scottish friend... I think she was trying to "set me up" with him because I had been through a crazy patch with the girl I was dating at the time and I think we'd broken up.

He was really nice and cool. He didn't like punk but he loved The Beatles and The Beach Boys and The Who. I would basically just ramble to him about my relationship problems and shit, and he'd say whatever he could to make me feel better. We only spoke for a couple of weeks and then I lost internet connection so we ended up not getting as close as we should have gotten. The girl who introduced us said that he told her I was either the love of his life or his best friend, but either way I was his soulmate. He was really mature for his age, in a weird way. I don't know, he was pretty much the only normal boy I've ever known, probably because he's not American.

Anyway, on one of those days I was telling him how anxious I was about my girlfriend, he just sent me the link to the song "Don't Worry Baby" by The Beach Boys. And I think that's the sweetest thing anyone's ever done for me. I literally cried. It was just so pure and thoughtful. He had never dated anyone before and he was incredibly innocent, and it's like every other time someone wrote a poem for me or a song or tried to be romantic, it was always selfish in some way. But this, it was just so fucking cute I still haven't forgotten it and I wish I still knew someone like him.

I have no idea why I felt compelled to write about this. I'll probably delete it.
July 2nd, 2014 at 03:08am