30 Day Blog Challenge (Day 2)

Day 2- Something You Feel Strongly About

I'm never shy when it comes to being questioned about my sexuality, I'm not ashamed of it, and it's indescribably upsetting to see people who ARE ashamed of their sexuality, regardless of what it is. I personally have been open about my sexuality (with everyone other than my family due to uncertainty regarding their reactions, as I'm at an age where being kicked out (again) is far from desirable) from a very early age, I had my first same sex crush when I was 12, and I straight away decided that it was never going to be something that I would hide from my friends and peers. I feel that this is something that every Bisexual, Transgender, Asexual, Homosexual, etc. should be able to do.

I feel very strongly about this topic because I have been an eye witness to homophobia and the way that it changes people; I have an uncle (a half uncle to be precise) who is gay, he's not ashamed of it and he's not kept it a secret from anyone, which makes me very happy and very proud. My (I say this with nothing more than deep hatred and resentment) 'Granddad' fails to accept his own son, and has not had contact with him for the majority of his life, which surprises me none because he is a terrible parent any way, but to disown your child because of something that doesn't actually affect you, or them for that matter, is utterly ridiculous. What makes the entire situation worse is that he not only disowned my uncle, but he also hospitalised him.

Now, I want to make it as clear as I possibly can, that I do not expect you to agree with homosexuality, and I do not, at any point, demand that you worship the ground they walk on, or give them any special treatment, I do however request that respect is given where respect is deserved. I, as a church goer myself, understand that a lot of churches are against homosexuality, and gay rights, and same-sex marriages, and I don't expect them to be okay with it, because I understand that what they follow, leads them to perceive it as a sin, but I do expect them to understand that their beliefs have no effect on someone that does not believe the same thing. As a former Atheist I can tell you that being told on a regular basis that I was 'going to hell' had no bearing on my life, nor did it have any toll on my emotions or health, even now as a fully fledged Christian, I would not falter at being told I'm going to hell, because that is for God to decide and not someone that fails to follow his command of 'Love Thy Neighbour'.

I won't deny the fact that it disgusts me, that in this day and age, with all of our understanding and knowledge of the universe, and humans, and everything in between, that we fail to understand that EVERY human being has emotions, some more than others. We also teach, preach even, to our children that we all have equal rights and basic human rights, that are not taken away dependant on your sexuality, so why do we then teach them that 'queers' and 'faggots' aren't worthy of being called by their actual names, and that they aren't worthy of your child's friendship? It sickens me, to the very pit of my stomach, that in one breath we teach them to love and cherish every human, and then in the next we tell them that homosexuality is disgusting and that any and every homosexual is void of all human rights.
It's difficult to walk down the street seeing the way people react to people who apparently 'look' gay... seriously, how does one 'look' like a sexuality? you wouldn't walk down the street and say 'wow, that man looks really straight' so why is it done with 'gay looking' people? and more to the point, why is it about thing? We encourage diversity and yet bash the people who have the courage to stray from the straight and narrow, and it's wrong!

I am aware that this blog is more of a rant than a blog, but I'm very, very passionate about gay rights, due to my uncle being gay, and me being bisexual. I hope that everyone that reads this agrees with what I have to say, and if they don't I hope that they are respectful enough to keep their unwanted opinions to themselves.
July 22nd, 2014 at 02:44am