Random Thoughts - Summer 2014

Rearranging & rewriting stories has become a habit since becoming an English Lit major. I look back at my old works to evaluate my progress, catalog mistakes I'm still making, and just to see what ideas popped into my head way back when.

In doing so, I returned to my profile on the very first site I joined - according to it, I'd been on it since 2008. Looking back on what I was doing in eighth grade from my junior year of college is a bit like skimming through an album comprised entirely of the most embarrassing photographs your friends took of you. I remember the moments fondly, if flinchingly, and I'm glad I was there.

But something that the site does is show you each member's last log in date.

It's been over five years for some of these people, a few of whom I'd even considered friends.

Did you know October 1, 2008 would be your last log in? Did you get embarrassed by what we were saying to each other, to the world? Did you plan November 26, 2010 to be the end of an era?

There was no warning, no goodbye, no blog post.

Did you hurt yourselves?

I remember all the sad poetry. But no, we said we were better than that. We promised it would never win. We promised we'd be okay.

Your unfinished stories are still marked "active."

I hope you are, too.
July 25th, 2014 at 09:25pm