How to Treat Infected Piercings

~~ Do not take your jewelry out

If you do take the jewelry out then the infection may get stuck in the piercing instead of actually leaving the piercing as it will.

~~ Go to your doctor

He will prescribe something to treat the infection; anti-biotics for example. You can also take ibuprofen to help with the pain.

~~ Apply salt water to the piercing twice a day

When you wake up and when you go to bed. Mix an eighth of a tablespoon of sea salt with water and apply with a cotton bud. You can't use table salt as it contains iodine.
Do not do this more than twice a day or you will dry out your piercing.

~~ Go to your piercist

They will give you advice.

~~ DO NOT TOUCH YOUR PIERCING

This will only make the piercing worse.

~~ Always wash your hands

If you do have to touch it, always wash your hands first.

~~ Wear looser clothing

If your piercing is one that will rub against your clothing (nipple, belly, genital, hips, etc), try wearing looser clothing.

~~ Make sure it is an infection, not an irritation

A lot of jewelry can irritate your skin. If a metal bar is irritating your skin, you may be allergic to it. Try switching to a bioflex, bioplast or titanium barbell, never use cheap jewelry; especially not a low grade steel or acrylic in a new piercing.

~~ Be fast when changing jewelry

Your piercing holes can close within five minutes if you don't put a new piece of jewelry in. Be sure to clean the piercing and all your jewelry prior to switching them to prevent further infection.

..

So my friend's belly button piercing got infected and she texted me asking for advice. I would make this a "How to" guide but I don't think it would work as one so have a blog instead.
July 29th, 2014 at 05:50pm