Things (That Are Perfectly Fine) but Sorta Bug Me in Stories

Hey! So these are just my preferences, so nobody get offended if you've done these things in your stories or if you plan to, I do actually still read some (most) of these stories, but would rather see some things done differently!

Alright, so! Here I go.

1. In fanfiction, when the female OC is the younger sister of a bandmate it just grinds my gears! She's always the sister and always younger and always relying on her big brother to look out for her. I get it, it's a lot easier to make her related to the band that way you don't have to worry about finding a decent way to make them meet, but younger, weaker, helpless sister with an overprotective brother? Please.

I would love to see the sister character become the older sister, where she's more independent. The brother in the band can still be incredibly overbearing, but she can brush it off because she's his big sister and spent her whole life looking out for him.

I don't get why she has to be younger. Or his sister at all. She could be an old friend from out of town just come to visit, someone who cuts his hair, someone who he runs into and likes but then the friend/bandmate swoops in and woos her.

There are so many more interesting possibilities.

2. When people don't at least try to use the correct use of periods vs. commas in speech.

This is right:
"Hey, don't worry about it. I'll have the guys get them for you," he said."

This is not right:
"Hey, don't worry about it. I'll have the guys get them for you." he said."

Just one little comma irks me so much! It's such an easy fix though, we just have to remember to put a comma rather than a period.

3. Writing that is structured like this:

I followed them upstairs. He opened the door for the two of the guys. They put my bags down and smiled. They left. I looked at him and I sat down on the bed. "Where's your room?" I asked.

I don't know if this needs an explanation, but please.

4. I'm mostly a fanfiction writer, but I read basically everything. But sometimes I want to go and read other stories from my fandom but practically all of them are slash. When I look for Falling in Reverse fanfiction, all I ever get is slash. And it's usually slash between two members of the band or a mashup of bands, and I find it sort of annoying when I want to read about a girl/guy relationship. Don't get me wrong, slash is fine, but all slash? Why does everyone pair these guys with themselves??

When it comes to original slash, I really like it. I think it's cute to see the relationships progress and the guys to figure it all out, but when it comes to slash between certain bands, I just can't take it seriously because that's not the way I see the guys.

Maybe that's how people feel about band fanfiction in general, and that's cool, I understand, but with me it's just some bands that I can't read slash about. MCR I can, because Gerard and Frank and adorable. But that's about it. Maybe Brendon Urie and Ryan Ross, because they were so cute back in their day.

People have their own opinions on things and that's great. I just wish I could see more girl/guy fanfiction when it comes to the bands I want to read about.

5. Obvious Song Titles as Story Titles.
When there's a really popular song and someone names their story that name, it doesn't say anything about the story except for that they were either inspired by it (just the title though, not any lyrics from the actual song) or they didn't want to come up with something a bit more subtle and fitting. I don't know. I'm just not a fan of song titles as story titles. The lyrics from the song, maybe, but not directly copy and pasting the title to the story.

Alright! I think that's about it for now. :) Thanks for reading, sorry if anything on the list bothered you! Let me know in the comments what you think about these things or if you've experienced the same turmoil in trying to find a straight story about a band. I just feel like chatting today!
July 29th, 2014 at 06:45pm