Game of Thrones - Favourite Character (#1) + Quote (#2)

So, Nicole convinced me to do this challenge despite my rather big dislike for the blogs section. ::grr:

Now, I am a BIG fan of this show and a massive fan of the books as well, so I often find myself wanting to go with a book choice when talking about the show before realising that something hasn't happened yet and I would be spoiling it. So when talking about my favourite character, this is from the show and my favourite from the books will probably be different.

Everyone either goes for Lannister or Stark (or Stark's bastard), and even though I have a favourite among them that people are horrified at, my favourite character is actually someone who was only in it for one season.

Image

Oberyn Martell, Prince of Dorne, and by far the most admirable character. After all those years of not having justice for his sister, he came to King's Landing, socialised with the Lannisters, bonded with Tyrion before declaring that he shall be his champion - not to prove his innocence, but to get the justice.

His death scene also outranked every other death that we have seen so far. We have the build up, his amazing skill on heels, his emotional chant of "You raped her, you murdered her, you killed her children!" and the confession right before his brutal death occurs which is absolutely horrific.

We then have this post-death picture with his murderer (who is also slowly dying in agonising pain thanks to Oberyn and his love for poisons - what's a Viper without his poison?)

Image

If I'm honest, I wanted to have a female as my favourite character because Game of Thrones has many, many strong female characters (and for all those who say that Sansa is weak, you clearly do not understand what it means to be a strong character). But I couldn't deny my favouritism for Oberyn, for everything that I have mentioned above as well as the admiration I have. Dorne values family, something which you see very clearly with Oberyn. No matter whether they're male or female - something that many other Houses do not - they are valued immensely.

Now onto my favourite quote. There are the obvious ones, such as "Valar Morghulis" (which shouldn't be too surprising seeing as I'm a feminist and all feminists are male-hating women, right guys?) and "Dracarys" because Dany was just so badarse when she said it. I could even go for Tyrion's quote: "The Lord of Light wants his enemies burnt. The Drowned God wants his enemies drowned. Why are all the gods such vicious cunts? Where is the god of tits and wine?"

But my favourite quote because of how it made me feel actually comes from Catelyn Stark, who I never liked much while she lived.

Image

"On my honour as a Tully, on my honour as a Stark, let him go, or I will cut your wife's throat." When she said those haunting words, during the fateful Red Wedding, you can feel her anguish. Her son, her eldest son and the only child she knows is actually alive, is in the process of dying. Arya, Bran and Rickon are believed dead, Sansa is at the mercy of the Lannisters (so basically dead), so Robb was all she had left in the world, and she had to watch him die.

And to end this blog off, another quote that I absolutely adore.

"What good is power if you cannot protect the ones you love?"
August 3rd, 2014 at 03:55am