Melodramatics & Breaking Down the Invisible Wall

I've been working on this new story pretty relentlessly over the past week (quick, shameless plug: here is a link to it if you were curious), and I'm starting to get to that part of writing where my characters start feeling like real people to me. Hah, only here could I confidently write that, knowing for sure that someone else understands what I'm talking about. Anyway, one of my main characters, Fiona, is really starting to get on my nerves, which is a problem. She was great in the first and second chapters, and I was really liking who she was becoming, but in the third one she's starting to become really melodramatic, and whiny, and self-pitying. I think the reason why this is showing itself more in this chapter is because she's interacting with another character who will literally point-blank call her out on her shit and is constantly dragging Fiona out of her wallowing in self-pity, and I'm starting to like that character more than Fiona, which I don't know if that's a good thing, or a bad thing.

Obviously, as I'm sitting here writing this blog post about it, it's really bothering me that Fiona is ending up this way because I want her to be a really likable character, and especially more so because this story is a fan fiction and she's having to compete with the celebrity main character whom everybody already loves going into it, and I know my characterization of him will ensure that. Then again, maybe I'm just being too critical of her and letting my own opinions sway my view of her because the whole melodramatic and wallowing in self-pity thing is something that I really don't like in other people. Furthermore, a lot of the fears and struggles and things she's saying could be really relatable to other people, and I know that's a desirable thing to have in a character, so maybe she's not all that bad.

I could rewrite this chapter and change it so she's lesser so like this, but I don't know if it's necessarily a bad thing that she's like this at this point in the story. She did just get kicked out of her home, so maybe she does have a little room to be self-pitying. I dunno what to do.

Another thing I've been thinking about and realizing as I've been writing this story is that it's really hard for me to picture my version of Dave (Franco; who this fan fiction is of) that I've written as the actual, physical Dave Franco I know him to be in movies and TV shows and interviews etc. When I write him, I can't really see him or see him as who he is. For example, I'm really familiar with his voice from listening to it in the things he's been in, but when I'm writing him talking, I don't hear that voice. Like, really all he is to me, is a bunch of emotions coming together to form a supposed person. Does that make sense? And I'm worried that maybe this is telling me that I'm not writing him well enough, or maybe I am writing a character, and maybe it's a good one, but that it's not Dave Franco. I dunno, this is kind of hard to explain.

Again, I don't know if this is a problem, and maybe I'm being to critical and over analytical, but it's another thing that's bothering me.

Who knows.
August 9th, 2014 at 05:43am