What Makes a Fan?

Earlier, I was having a conversation with the wonderful @pixiewayro. We were talking about many things, like Gerard Way, and the wonders of the universe, and Gerard Way, and Synyster Gates, and Gerard Way, and then Backstreet Boys.

An interesting question arose during this conversation, and I would love to know what my fellow mibbans think.

I have a very slight fondness for Backstreet Boys. By this, I mean, I have their greatest hits and I listen to to them on a not so regular basis. I enjoy it when I do listen to them though. But, I don't consider myself a fan. I do not follow what they do. I have never bought an album, nor will I. I would go to see them in concert, but I have no real feeling or care for them. If they broke up tomorrow, I wouldn't really care. I appreciate what they do for what it is, which is good, easy listening, pop music that has no real artistic merit.

Then I think about 30STM. I don't listen to them too often, like Backstreet Boys. I've seen them in concert. If they broke up, I wouldn't be devastated, and I would only care mildly. I consider myself a fan of them, though, nonetheless. I appreciate their vision and what they do, and I enjoy what they do.

The difference? I don't know. I care slightly more for 30STM I suppose.?Is it that I identify with the 'crowd' that encompasses the fan base? I'm more of an 'alternative' music fan, and I don't follow the pop scene. My favourite bands are My Chemical Romance (even though they are now disbanded), and Linkin Park. I think it comes down to a mixture of the scene, their message, and just wanting to be a fan, even though I enjoy the BSB music I listen to almost as much as I enjoy 30STM.

So, to my fellow Mibban's, what is the definition of a fan? Are you a fan when you listen to their music? Is it when you care about what they do? Is it when you follow the band's journey, maybe even their personal lives? When do you cross the line from casual listener, to fan?

What do you guys think?
August 9th, 2014 at 11:07pm