The Trouble With Roommates

Living with roommates is always an adventure. I've lived with my share of crazy people, and sane people, and it's a vicious cycle that will continue until I can afford a place of my own. I shared all of last year's college year with three other girls in a suite: two girls per room, separated by a bathroom. This summer Hannah, one of the girls I shared a suite with, and Tiana, a girl who was on the volleyball team with us, all moved in together.

Let me tell you, I have learned my lesson as far as rooming with people goes. Living with Tiana was fine, we'd played on a team together, getting rid of any modesty we may have previously had, and we were comfortable together without crowding into each other's space.

And this is a tiny apartment, let me tell you. I work 40+ hours a week, Tiana works that much too, and Hannah floats in-between the apartment and her boyfriend's house. When you want to escape from the outside world, you know, where people have to do real life it ends up feeling something like this:

Image
It's very easy to lose your sanity when you're all sitting on each other's laps trying to have "space."

Now, having previously lived with Hannah, we already had suite rules installed. For instance, sharing.

Or, as I like to call it, Mistake #1.

I have a younger sister and brother, I know how to share. The problem was when your lovely roommates, primarily Hannah, want to share clothes with rules of their own.

Hannah's Rule: Keep all clothes unless owner notices item is missing

Image

This means that you start to slowly go crazy. Sometimes, I'll have an idea of what I want to wear in the morning, so come morning, I'll go to my closet to pull out said clothing only to find its missing. Now, it's a whole shitstorm as I blow through my closet thinking I've lost the thing. Only to find out that my lovely roommate Hannah is wearing it because "she didn't think I'd notice."

She'll borrow Tiana's clothing as well, without a warning again, because who does that? After a fishing trip, she'll come back and strip and throw the clothes she borrowed on a couch or on top of Tiana's dresser. The next morning, Tiana will grab a hoodie to wear only to discover she can't possibly wear it to work because Hannah doused it in a healthy dose of Deet at her fishing trip and didn't wash it (who needs clean clothes?).

Nobody likes hurting feelings, so it's a spiral of dropping hints and muttering under your breath as you try to figure out what to do.

Image

Hannah is the type where you can be clear as day to the problem at hand, and she just doesn't notice. Or care. She's the epitome of passive aggressive as well. So now we have

The New Rule

Why it wasn't put into place before, I have no idea. But basically, if she wants to borrow clothing, she's got to give a heads up as to what she's taking. That way, it's not missing for two weeks and no one is becoming a human hurricane as they search for missing clothing.

The trouble with roommates is missing space, it's discovering that your things are now our things. It's a little different from dating, because all of your things belong to your roommate, who's love for your belongings knows no bounds.

So always remember, space is a good thing. A great thing. The final frontier which you will value forever.

Image
August 11th, 2014 at 06:51pm