An Important Message From Kathy Griffin About "People Like Her" Getting Involved in POC Issues



^ A link to the Kathy Griffin clip. ^


I, admittedly, don't know much about Kathy Griffin other than the fact that she’s an actor and comedian I sometimes find funny. With that said, I was (pleasantly) surprised to hear her thoughts on the murder of Mike Brown and America’s reaction (or lack of reaction) to it.

I read in an article a couple of days ago (I hope I can find it and leave a link) that sometimes being the person who talks about racial injustice and inequality is an unpopular choice, but you have to decide if you’d rather be popular or be a good person who stands up when it’s necessary.

I also loved that she mentioned that although this incident is fueled by race, you can’t just call it a POC problem and walk away if you don’t consider yourself as part of that group. If you’re a part of any oppressed group (whether you’re a POC, a woman, LGTBQ…) or an ally of any oppressed group, you should be paying attention to this and helping out where you can.

I think, possibly, that is an important take-away for other people who feel a disconnect with what's going on in Ferguson (and across the country right now). Maybe it's hard to hear or understand this if it's coming from a POC you feel you don't have much in common. But, possibly, it'll be easier to get if it's coming from someone like you. This is a straight, White-American woman, who knows that as a member of a disenfranchised group (WOMEN), she has things in common with and a fight in common with the POCs protesting and speaking out against the injustices going on in Ferguson today.

Just because it doesn't appear at first glance to be about you, please don't forget that

this is your fight too.
August 21st, 2014 at 10:11pm