PSATs and College Plans

My school handed out this flyer for PSATs a week ago, and it started to get me thinking about college. It's just starting to hit me that I'm a junior in high school and that in two years I will be attending some kind of college studying god knows what. Here are what I'm considering majoring in: cosmetology, English/writing, or psychology.

Cosmetology. Like most seventeen year old girls, I love putting on makeup and doing my nails. For the past year, I was determined that this was what I wanted to go to school and learn how to do. After I did some research on it to find a nice school, I realized that cosmetologists mainly study hair. Now, don't get me wrong, knowing how to cut hair and style it is awesome, but I don't want that to be the basis of my career. It doesn't interest me as much as learning the different techniques for different eye shapes, or how to properly put on acrylic nails. If I do go to cosmetology and major in it, then I want to learn about EVERYTHING in the beauty field. I've discovered that is I really want to get the in-depth training in makeup application (or learn how to do special effects makeup) and learn how to do really advanced techniques for nail art, then I'd basically have to go take two or three different courses: One for specialized makeup, one for special effects makeup, and one to get a nail tech license. That's a lot of money that'll turn into unbelievable debt.

English. This is a little bit easier as I would take a specific course/major in writing. The only thing I have about this is that I'm worried that if I become too stressed in the classes or start overthinking everything I'm learning, I might lose my passion for writing. I feel like once I enroll as an English major in college, writing may no longer be fun. I may even end up hating the idea of picking up a pen or pencil.

Psychology. My only reason was doubting this option is that I would really only major in it because I find it interesting, NOT because I want to make a career out of it. So, really it'd only be a debt than an income maker.

I should probably start looking into other options for me. I wish I could talk to a consuler about this, but unfortunately my school doesn't have one. If anyone has any suggestions or advice, please tell me. I'm desperate.
August 23rd, 2014 at 07:49pm