Who Is Your Oldest Character? + Completely Forgetting About Certain Stories

We've all got 'em. A character you created long ago (or maybe not so long ago!), maybe one you wrote a story for that ended up being a huge part of your creative life. Maybe it was a character you moved on from after some time, or maybe it's somebody you're still writing in a story that was never finished or simply never died. (Whew, that sounded a lot less corny in my head.)

I myself have a horrible habit of getting attached to my characters, and that's part of the reason why I'm writing this journal. For the past few days I've been thinkin' real hard about my story Spin and how, uh...I haven't updated it in three years, and, uh...yeah. For that reason, I sometimes completely forget that I wrote it, which it something I'm gonna talk about later on here. XD

Anyways, Spin is the oldest story I've ever written that I'm still sort of okay with, and a few months ago I rewrote all the chapters. (I haven't reposted 'em yet because I want to do that in regular updates, and I know if I start it now it'll just rot again.) And the oldest character in Spin is a twenty-one-year-old grumpy dude named Max Ferdinand.

This dude has been through Hell and back, I swear. When I first created him, he was the Grim Reaper before I decided that was too stupid, and then for a long time he was the main character of Spin before I just shifted the main attention away from him and onto the rest of the cast. So, now he's stuck alongside his brother and a few other choice humans in an area populated with aliens. o_O

And his actual character design is pretty lackluster, I'll admit it. But I've kept the sketchbook with my first drawing of him in it, and about every six months I doodle him again to compare how my art style has changed, and it's been pretty neat.

(GOD, this is painful to look at.) (Also, each doodle has a date next to it; it's read right to left 'cause I'm left-handed and I'd smudge the page if I drew left to right. XD)

Image

Image

(IF YOU SQUINT, YOU CAN SEE LAZLO FROM CAMP LAZLO IN THIS FRICKIN' ONE. I'M DEAD.)
Image

(This one's on its own page because, uh, I had to start a new page.)
Image

So, yeah. At the very heart of it all, Max is still the same foul-mouthed grouch I drew too often in sixth grade, but Spin has gone through so many changes that naturally, he's tweaked a bit over the years.

So who's your oldest character? When did you make them? Do ya still write with them? How have they influenced your writing? (I dunno, I just got to thinkin' about it the other day and wondered if other authors share my clusterfluff of thoughts.)

---

Okay, is it just me, or does anybody else just...completely forget that they've written a story? Like, you go to think about projects you're working on and you think you're done with everything and then you just remember an incomplete work that just slipped your mind. Or, you think about all the things you've finished and you leave a work out, and then later on it pops back into your brain. 'Cause that happens to me all the time. XD

I always tend to forget that I wrote I Can't Hang and A List of Best Intentions. And I think this is partly because I'm so frickin' ashamed of it, but I usually forget about Say It Like You Mean It!, too. (GOD, EVERY TIME I THINK ABOUT THAT STORY IT'S JUST ONE BIG UGHHHHHHHHHHHH.) (And it's funny, since that's the most popular story I've written here on Mibba.)

Sometimes I'm like, "Okay, maybe someday I'll rewrite it." Then months pass and I don't crack open the Word file and then I completely forget about that awful cliche high-school-drama try-hard piece of trash, and then I think about the ways I can chop it to pieces and make it not so problematic on so many levels, and then I just give up.

Image
That. That is exactly how I feel about it.

So, do you ever let a story slip your mind and then remember it and then it causes you a fair bit of stress? XD

---

Also, Earth to Me is chuggin' along. Just got done writing a chapter where Oshie cries. *nonchalantly sips coffee*

Anyways, have a great night, ya'll! :D
Image
August 31st, 2014 at 02:59am