On Gaining/Losing Weight, Objectifying and Self-Image: Cheerleading Edition

Cheerleading is a sport. It doesn't matter who tells you otherwise, I am here to assure you of the truth. Some people say that it's the movies like Bring It On that are at fault in terms of cheerleading's image. This is so false because if they actually watched the routines instead of judging the purposeful cheerleading jokes and stereotypes, then they would truly see the skill required to pull this stuff off. We work hard, we train and we bleed for this. I hate to hear people talking down about my passion because they've never cared enough to actually understand it. This may sound stupid because, yes, it may not be as rigorous as some sports, but it's easily harder than many.

Hearing someone say that they love their bruises is usually a red-flag, but for us cheerleaders, it's like a badge saying, "We're tough, do you care now?", and that's really quite sad. It shouldn't be desired to be purple and yellow just to prove yourself to others, but that's the way we feel. Walking on crutches at school and saying, "I got hurt during a stunt at cheer practice" is one of the coolest things because it makes people realize that it's not all sparkles and smiles in cheerleading. It's concussions, broken bones, blood, tears, sweat AND sparkles and smiles. Seeing the shock in their eyes turn into an ounce of respect for you is perhaps one of the most rewarding things. To be viewed as an athlete for once instead of an object is a true gift. It should be a right.

Objectifying cheerleaders goes on to my next topic. To be a cheerleader, it is not required to be stick skinny. The only reason why many of the girls one sees are so in shape is because cheerleading MAKES you fit. For the most part, that is. So many people see us as something we aren't and that's so degrading to us. We work to be remembered and realized, but many (guys especially) will only watch our jumps to see up our skirts. A stranger asked me once if I'd come "give him some love" in my uniform because he'd never done a cheerleader before and he thought it was sexy. It's probably because the excessive amount of pornography featuring "cheerleaders" that he felt this way (aside from his disgusting nature in general). In fact, a man was once convicted of child pornography for simply videotaping girls at a cheer competition. In defense, he was focused upon the buttocks and breasts of the girls and deserves his title of sex offender, but in no way is that pornography. My guess is that the sexualized view of cheer is probably the most likely reason that this was such a big deal. Again, I do not condone his behavior whatsoever, but nor do I feel that this should have been treated unlike every other unpunished film of the underage female figure.

I’m no hardcore feminist, but I recognize my mistreatment as a female. Especially a female cheerleader. Most high schools have a dance program that performs at each event much like a cheer team, but in no way are the subjected to the same judgment, harassment and even ridicule as the latter. Further, dance routines tend to be more risqué and suggestive, as they aren’t confined to sharp movements, mainly focused in the arms. At my school, the dance team is applauded more because they have such fun, flirty routines (though the students do love our stunts), yet we are the ones who face sexualization.

Yes, our skirts are short and our tops are skimpy (this is mainly out of high school, mind you, as it is very uncommon to see the stomach outside of competition, college and professional cheer. The skirts however, may vary) but I believe that this is because the image itself has been poisoned and it is now regulatory to dress in such a way. This is ironic to me, as teen cheerleaders are the most desired, yet they are the most modest in terms of dress.

Speaking of attire, I am lead to my most recent issue. It could be partially named my fault as I was not present at the meeting for fitting, but every one of the items we ordered this year has delivered incorrect sizes for me. Here’s is where we discuss weight gain and self-image.

I've struggled with body image for a large portion of my life, but it wasn't until I started cheering that it really began to affect me. Now, this isn't to say that cheerleading itself is the cause. Certainly, it isn't and I don't want confusion on this as cheer already has its share of scrutiny, as hinted above. This is simply my personal experience.

The first blow to my self-esteem was that the woman who ordered my uniforms considered the measurements I sent in and sized me at 2XL. It hurt that she found me to be that large. Not that there is anything wrong with 2XL, but I’ve been corrupted by the thought of being skinny, and this is not ideal for me personally. This started back in my freshman year, where I lost a large amount of weight. I hadn’t noticed until the end of the season when my friend called from a few tables down in the lunch room, telling me how thin I was and how great I looked. Ever since, nothing else is good enough to me, and I don’t even know what I’m trying to reach anymore. I just lack happiness in my shape no matter what I do.

It’s ironic that the women I’m attracted to have to be thicker, yet I can’t find myself attractive. The men I’m attracted to are thin, but they have a completely different shape that can’t even be compared.

Moving forward on track, the upside is that the 2XL came in HUGE. I spent 40 dollars on tailoring and it’s still not fitted. I remind myself this when I feel bad about it, but the lingering thought remains. Oddly enough, my warm-ups (much like a jump/track suit) came in SNUG. I know there is absolutely no way these will look good on me after the season when I put on some pounds, as I always do. Even now, the fat on the back of my legs is defined, I believe and very unflattering. But here’s the kicker, my coach and friends (especially the guys, no surprise) says the suit looks great. It looks “sleek and attractive”. If skin tight clothing is where it’s at, then why aren’t the dance team and other female sports/clubs dressing seductively? Do we require being shapely and desirable as cheerleaders? Sure, we want to be nice to look at in terms of getting the crowd’s attention during games, but we don’t have to do this in a suggestive way.

Some of the girls on my team wonder why I have such a problem with the warm-ups. They see no reason why I should have an issue with it as I am indeed blessed with a defined waist and large curves, which are both displayed profoundly in the suit. However, I see a reason because I myself am not comfortable looking so sexy as I’ve been inappropriately addressed far too many times because of my shape. I don’t want the attention and perhaps that’s why I want to lose so much weight. Maybe it’s because I want to remove my sensuality. Some women may find this astounding, but I’m sure others will agree.

To any girls fighting this battle, I am with you. Also to any girls interested in cheerleading, keep an open mind. Take no beeswax from anyone, but stay true to yourself. I will not stop my passion because the mindset of others, and such mindsets shouldn’t be what drives girls away from the sport. If you are someone interested in feeding this mindset by being sensual and using the title for sex or other whatever else, by all means, go ahead. You are not doing anything wrong. The wrong comes from the people creatingthe mindset. Feeding and birthing are very different concepts. Even the “sluttiest” of cheerleaders are just girls doing their thing. It’s not our fault, nor is it ever.

Remember who you are and don’t allow others to change you. I have and I pay the price for it every day.

P.S. I'm not sure if this is cohesive or makes any sense, but to those who read, I hope you get it.
August 31st, 2014 at 07:38pm