Things That Stay

I was tagged in this blog to basically tell you guys about a few books that have stayed with me over the years. In her blog she has 10 marked out and is only doing four... I don't off-hand how many books that have stuck with me so it won't be anymore than ten but no less than four. I try to keep happy medium.

The Shackby William P. Young.

Synopsis as listed on Goodreads.

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation, and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his "Great Sadness," Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend.

Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.

In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant The Shack wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book!


I'm not going to sit here and lie and say this was a literary genius. Or that the grammar and plot of this story was phenomenal. A lot of people pick this book apart, and yeah I can see why. Especially seeing how many people just cherish this book and pretend that this book is the best thing to be written right after the bible itself. However, I am one of those people who really loves this book. Yeah, it's not amazingly written, but it speaks to me far more than almost any other book that I've ever read.

I read it during a time I was wondering if God was real. During a time that I contemplated this best and most efficient way to off myself. So, yeah, time and place this was a very good book to read in order for me to get back on the ol' #TeamGod.

What got to me most was when he was able to see his daughter. Explained certain dreams and just over all made me want to cry. But it won't have this same effect on people, and if people go in with too critical of an eye they're probably - not certainly - miss the beauty that this book can become.

Rose Madder by Stephen King

Synopsis as listed on Goodreads

After 14 years of being beaten, Rose Daniels wakes up one morning and leaves her husband -- but she keeps looking over her shoulder, because Norman has the instincts of a predator. And what is the strange work of art that has Rose in a kind of spell? In this brilliant dark-hued fable of the gender wars, Stephen King has fashioned yet another suspense thriller to keep readers right on the edge.

This is one of my all-time favorite Stephen King books, yet every time I talk about it or mention the title everyone is either like
1: huh?
or
2: Oh, you mean Rose Red?

I love this book because instead of putting all the horrors on some sort of monster from the dark abyss or from other planets, the bad guy is her husband. He is an abusive man who wants to monopolize Rose and to beat her. The things she has been through is horrible and she finally gets away and... well let's just say he gets what he deserves in that book. The way things get twisted and the reality they end up is just amazing. But to me the book shows that don't let anyone tear you down. Keep fighting.

Kay Scarpetta Series by Patricia Cornwell

Series Description as listed on GoodreadsDr. Kay Scarpetta is best known as the beautiful blonde Chief Medical Examiner for the Commonwealth of Virginia at Richmond. She is also known as one of the top forensic pathologist in the country. Along the way, the series also features FBI Profiler Benton Wesley, Kay’s genius niece Lucy Farinelli, and the unhealthy and balding homicide detective Pete Marino.

I should re-read all of the Scarpetta books because I didn't start reading them until seventh grade and the only ones I remember reading are 1, 3, 4, and 8. Lol. But this is the book that got me into mystery and murder. I mean, who wouldn't want to be a Scarpetta? She's amazing in her field. She catches the bad guys. And she's fucking badass. I mean no she isn't super special or has some super power, but they are interesting stories.

Cut by Patricia McCormick

Synopsis as listed on Goodreads

"A tingle arced across my scalp. The floor tipped up at me and my body spiraled away. Then I was on the ceiling looking down, waiting to see what would happen next." Callie cuts herself. Never too deep, never enough to die. But enough to feel the pain. Enough to feel the scream inside. Now she's at Sea Pines, a "residential treatment facility" filled with girls struggling with problems of their own. Callie doesn't want to have anything to do with them. She doesn't want to have anything to do with anyone. She won't even speak. But Callie can only stay silent for so long...

Oh how cliche it was for me to read this book. It wouldn't make sense for me not to turn to this book when so much was rocking my poor little depressed life. I mean, even the synopsis sounds cliche... but it stuck. It's always there, and it's always nice to know how the story ended. Like they say, gotta get through the rain to see the rainbow.

Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli

Synopsis as listed by Goodreads

He’s a boy who lives in the streets of Warsaw. He’s a boy who steals food for himself and the other orphans. He’s a boy who believes in bread, and mothers, and angels. He’s a boy who wants to be a Nazi some day, with tall shiny jackboots and a gleaming Eagle hat of his own. Until the day that suddenly makes him change his mind. And when the trains come to empty the Jews from the ghetto of the damned, he’s a boy who realizes it’s safest of all to be nobody.

Newbery Medalist Jerry Spinelli takes us to one of the most devastating settings imaginable—Nazi-occupied Warsaw of World War II—and tells a tale of heartbreak, hope, and survival through the bright eyes of a young orphan.


I hate books like these. I hated The Diary of Ann Frank. I normally go not like anything war related... normally. I picked this book up because my homeroom teacher was having a conniption about me not having a book to read during homeroom period. I had already finished my book that we got that Wednesday so I went over to his shelf and picked a book at random. I sat down and "pretended to read" until I actually started reading the words and before I knew it, I was hooked. This book was the book that sparked my interest of other WWII stories, Ann Frank had slaughtered it. That book had been shoved down my throat since the third grade and after having to read it EVERY YEAR and see the movie EVERY YEAR, I wanted to just gouge my eyes and be blind so I wouldn't have to hear or see anything else about her. But this book was different.

This book made me think... made me feel. I haven't met many people - if any - that has said they read this little book. It's not long, but well worth the read.

I think that's good enough. That's like what five books? See, what I tell ya, right in the middle. Anywho, I nominate anyone who reads this. But since I know some people will exit and pretend that they didn't read this I nominate my wifey, if she reads this, Hina, if she hasn't already done it, The Man of Steel, if he is even active, electra heart, and Rianne.

I suck at tagging people.
September 2nd, 2014 at 01:27am