Should I Confront My Friend?

I haven't posted anything in a while but I've been going through some stuff and this is one of my main problems.

I've known this person for about 10 years, it's such a long time, and we used to really close. He only lives up the road from me usually but since he's staying at uni now and since he left about two years ago he's turned out to be not such a nice person.

I used to blame myself for it; he likes to go out and party and I don't. I never have. I used to think that maybe if I went out more that he would want to stay friends but I don't think that's the case anymore. The thing is he loves drama. He likes being in the thick of arguments and people causing problems with each other and I don't like that. I stay away from some of the people he hangs out with personally because they always start drama and I would rather have a relaxing time if I go out, because all the drama gives me anxiety.

We were planning to see A7X together last year, but he dropped out last minute. He's dropped out of seeing concerts with me before last minute. I like everything to be organised at least a month in advance so when people drop out at the last minute it really stresses me out.

By far the worst thing he's done is blatantly ignore me. He got a new phone with a new number and he didn't give me the new number. He sent the number to everyone I know but not me. He told me that he lost interest sending the new number to people before he reached my name but he's supposed to be my best friend. So the only way I can get in touch with him is through Facebook. I send him multiple messages, sometimes five or six, before I get a reply. The final straw for me is when I repeatedly asked him if he wanted to go to this concert with me and my sister and I messaged him about six times with the details because he kept on asking. I told him that I needed to know by the Friday because that was when I was going to buy the tickets. He didn't even bother to reply and I just got sick of it. I only brought two tickets and I haven't messaged him since. This was about May time.

Now I'm really angry at him because he's been telling people that I don't bother with him anymore. When I try to bother he makes no interest in replying and I refuse to bend over backwards for him. I don't want to loose him as a friend because for years he was the best friend you could ask for but I am sick of his attitude. I hate the fact he's been lying about the situation and now people think I'm the bad guy.

To be honest I'm tempted to publicly shame him on Facebook with a screencap of all the messages I've sent him and his lack of replies, but I know it's childish.

The less childish option is to message him telling him about my problems with depression and anxiety and try to make him understand that those are the reasons that I don't like to enjoy going out as much but that I do want to be his friend still. The thing is though that if I tell him that and he doesn't bother replying there's going to be some problems. I don't think I'll be able to forgive him.

I just don't know anymore.
September 7th, 2014 at 07:55pm