Fall TV Line-Up: Looking Forward and Dreading

Fall TV is better than Halloween and all those pumpkin/apple flavored things. It's true.

Returns I'm Eagerly Awaiting


The Mindy Project Mindy and Danny are together...again! The world is right. I just really love Mindy Kaling. Her Mindy character is such an awful person and flawed and it's perfect. It's funny and crazy and outrageous but still, at the core, most of what Mindy does - even when exaggerated - is so relatable. And the supporting cast is equally funny and complex and interesting.

Archer Sploosh. Danger Zone. WHAT! Lana. This is how we get ants. Yeah and or duh. Archer gets shot.

Supernatural Deanmon. Can you believe they actually called him that in the promos? Guys. The Supernatural plot-lines are like...wackadoodle. But I heard he's only a demon for a little while and Supernatural is always entertaining, even if it doesn't make sense sometimes. And I love anything to do with angels and demons and heaven and those entities behaving badly. I hope at the end of this season, they can bring him some storylines.

Sleepy Hollow This was probably my favorite new show last year. I love everything about it and I'm (oddly?) looking forward to the impending apocalypse. The Ichabod/Abby/Katarina(sp?) thread is killing me. I want Abby and her sister to get it together. I want Ichabod to get settled into modern life and fall in love with Abby and forget all his troubles. I want Frank to fix his family shit. I want it all.

Grimm Again, I love the supernatural. I love fairytales. I love monsters. I love it. Can't get enough.

New Shows I'm Interested in Trying


How to Get Away With Murder Shonda Rhimes is a beast and goddess and pro at putting black women at the wheel, and who am I to turn my head away at that? A story about college kids and a college professor who probably murder people or solve murders is something I'm not going to miss. And Viola Davis walking around looking like she could rip your throat and you'd then offer her your heart, is like a huge bonus. Other bonuses? Alfred Enoch (who played Dean Thomas in the Harry Potter films, and grew up wonderfully) and Matt McGorry (from OITNB) and at least one WOC in the main cast. Yessir! Sign me up.

Constantine I just love shows that are about supernatural/occult heroes. Constantine, Supernatural, Dominion, Sleepy Hollow... whatever it is, give it to me. I want it. Please.

Cristela The loss of the George Lopez Show might have left a tiny whole in my heart. The show wasn't the best but still, it was something and, at times, it was funny. I found a few of the characters kind of irritating at times and the family stereotypes a little over the top, but still, it was funny. And I liked seeing diversity in the television lineup, and seeing a Hispanic family transcend the awful stereotypes but keep the things that makes their culture special and use that within the humor. From what I've seen of Cristela so far, I think it could be something similar and I'm definitely looking forward to that. I just hope it doesn't end up being too hammy.

Gotham I'm only a quarter-sold on Gotham. Like, I get it, but I don't get it get it. I'm interested, but mostly in a staring-a-the-tv-with-a-shit-face this-is-probably-going-to-be-awful kind of way. Don't get me wrong, I like Batman. But I've found Batman origin stories to be, often, drawn out and incredibly boring. I mean, I saw Nolan's first Batman film; I also barely stayed awake during that first laborious hour when we watched Mr. Wayne learn to fight in the mountains or whatever he was doing. I get it, his story is tragic. We get it, Batman! You're a wounded puppy, brought up in a bad neighborhood. But you were like a grossly rich, wounded puppy growing up in a bad neighborhood full of dead-broke wounded puppies growing up in a bad neighborhood, so...even with your parents dead, you had a pretty good advantage over those terrible, terrible Gotham criminals. I don't know if I can sit through another tale of how sad your life was. I just don't know if I can do it. But it's hard to resist the appeal of comic-book adaptations. Especially in a world where Catwoman is an adorable teen and Ben McKenzie is the Commissioner.

Marry Me It looks silly, but it's from the creator of Happy Endings, which had a lot of good laughs and fun characters, and it also shares some of those actors, so I'm willing to give it a try. I'll still miss Happy Endings though.

Things That I'm Sure I Won't Like


Virgin Mary/Jane the Virgin I don't even know what CW is doing anymore. The premise is that a virgin goes to her OBGYN for a check up and gets accidentally impregnated. If this ends in any way other than a quick abortion and a huge fucking malpractice suit, I'm calling foul. I don't know why they would do this and I don't get it. I wonder if it's some pro-life thing or some religious thing. No. Please. No. Every time I see the commercial for it, I get very annoyed. This is better served as a scary Lifetime special than a light-hearted, young-adult dramedy.

Black-ish Honestly, they lost me at the promo. The part where the father, played by Anthony Anderson, says to the mother, played by the lovely Tracee Ellis Ross, that she "isn't even really black," and she doesn't throw a chair at his face and curse him out, like he deserves. Instead she makes a flippant comment about her ass and hair being black enough. Perhaps they've touched a nerve, but I don't like having my nerves rubbed, especially by people dismissing others' culture and their experiences. Maybe the show will redeem itself and it will be wonderful. I don't know. I probably won't watch to find out.

Red Band Society There's something about this that doesn't sit right with me. I'm sure this is part of the The Fault in Our Stars avalanche, but it feels like it's capitalizing on a very touchy and often tragic story. I think this could go horribly wrong. I hope it doesn't. I hope it give people hope and fun and peace. But my hopes don't matter, probably it'll just cash in on cheap drama and tragedy. It'll probably make you cry, not because of great writing, but because terminally ill young people are going to die and that's never fair. Okay? Okay.

Selfie I wish John Cho would wriggle his way back onto Sleepy Hollow and become a big character on that show. I wish he would leave Amy Pond and her American-ish accent alone. I don't think Karen Gillan is a good comedic actor and, if the promos are any indication, the writing seems a bit overplayed and obvious. "Name something you don't understand." "Um...Plus-sized skinny jeans. I mean...like why?" Hilarious. I think the appeal of the show is that it's 'intuned' with the selfie culture (which I already think is unfairly shamed - how dare people enjoy pictures of themselves and capturing their memories) and that in itself will make the show fade as quickly as any fad. A show portraying a social media celeb as a self-absorbed, terrible person? Like why?

Utopia My sister already started watching it. She called me last week to yell at me to turn it on. There was an ex-convict yelling about Ramen noodles. He was super-passionate about it. I watched two episodes and I still don't understand the point or the appeal. It's a year long experiment and there's a pregnant woman there. Within the first three days, a couple has already formed. What is going to happen to these babies during the course of this show. Furthermore, will this show be canceled mid-season like Who Wants to Marry Prince Harry?

Anger Management So is every show Charlie Sheen stars in going to just be like a Charlie Sheen AU fic? Because that's what it seems like.

(incomplete...will continue later)
September 14th, 2014 at 11:50pm