Help Me, Mibba, in Re-Thinking the General Vibe of My Bedroom | Questions

I don't really know how to start this blog. Basically, I'm looking for descriptions of bedrooms (pictures would be super awesome) that you guys genuinely find comforting. I realise that everyone thinks of 'comforting' as something different but I mean like, specific parts of your room or someone else's room that you really, really connect with. Maybe it's a particular corner or the colour that your light shade gives off.

I need some inspiration.

See the end of this blog for question time.
My room has been the darkest corner of the house for a few years now. I have black walls and dark blue carpet and the curtains for my window are these gloriously thick black ones that I push right to the window with a spare pillow to eliminate all light.

Now, I like this darkness. I thrive in it. It's so dark in here all of the time that not even spiders tend to nestle in too comfortably, and they're made of nightmares so...

But this poses a problem for another great comfort of mine which is nature. I just love gardening. I love nature. There's something wonderfully refreshing to grow a plant from a seed, or from a little baby plant, and watch it develop and flower and then die off in the winter (some of my annuals survived winter because it's not too cold in Australia for them so yay, we'll see how they go).

I really want to grow things in my bedroom because I feel like it'll completely change the vibe in here, and I feel like I need that. At the moment I have a lucky bamboo on my desk and he's doing pretty good without any sunlight and only my light on in the late evening/very early morning. I also have a neglected closed terrarium that's got some slowly dying moss in it and another one that I was watching decompose (was a venus fly trap that never got enough sun in here). Is that weird? Ehh, probably.

I've got 2 weeks off uni now so I'm spending as much time as I can doing the things I don't have time for when I'm studying like a mofo. I got a four poster bed a few months ago and so I'm trying to work out how I wanna make curtains for that and how it's gonna work for my room and such. A part of me wants these dark purple drapes around all 4 sides and fairy lights along the top with the following quote on the wall above my head:

"Dreamt of a doorway
That opened to everything
And I'm reaching towards it
Drifting backwards

Drawing the curtains
Windows inside my head
Maybe I'm only making mirrors"

If you know what that's from then we should be friends immediately.

But then I keep thinking... I don't want this darkness anymore. I wanna get some lighter material, probably still purple and maybe green too, and open up my curtains and let light in and grow something hanging from the top of my bed somewhere. I haven't decided how this will work yet... maybe some small hanging planters and succulents if it's light enough that can hang from some rope going across the top of the bed. Or maybe a fern. Or some mint. Man, I can grow that stuff anywhere. I was growing it in the chicken run because it's the only plant they won't eat but they learned to scratch it out...

But I dunno. I haven't got a window sill. My window is full length so there's a bit of wood at the bottom but the blinds are in the way. My window faces the front of the house too so I can't really change that.

You've no idea how jealous I am of those of you with waist-high window sills.

I'm thinking about putting a shelf in above my headboard but I'm not sure if there's any wood there to support it.

Ugh. I think that's all. It's 4:30am and all I can think about is redesigning my room.
Questions

1. Can you give me any pictures/descriptions of bedrooms that you'd describe as comfortable?

2. If you have/would consider getting a four poster bed or you've constructed something similar with fabric and hooks etc., how do you/would you dress it? Curtains all the way round? Fabric draped over the top?

3. Do you have anything growing in your room or indoors? Names of plants/general group it belongs to would be awesome.

4. Have you ever made a terrarium before? If so, what's your method and what materials do you use?

5. Give me any little ideas you'd love to implement into your room, no matter how impossible they seem.

Thanks to anyone who comments!
September 19th, 2014 at 09:11pm