Dear Past Self (2013-Present) Volume 1.

One Year Ago :

Dear Future L,

How was the journey of beauty school? Did you get your cosmetology license? If so, what salon are you working at? Did you do something really insane this year? How many more friends did you make? Did mom actually move to Kentucky? If so, how is she doing? What are you up to now, and what new hobbies have you adapted? Did things work out between you and E? If not, do you have someone else in your life at the moment? Can you say this year was pretty good?

-L of 2013


Dear Past L,

Well life certainly took an interesting turn, at least on my part.

To start off, we graduated beauty school October 23rd of last year. As much as I want to say I'm a stylist, unfortunately I did not get my license. Turns out practical is harder than we thought. It's been a tiring process and I honestly don't know what to make of it, or if I will continue to pursue cosmetology. It's just not what I thought it would be. Sounds like a bummer, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm meant something much better. As far as doing something insane, I think so...I'm definitely trying to get myself to try new things. Got to keep the memories alive ya know? I've met a couple more people or the course of the year but I mostly still talk to the same people, luckily Merary & Nova are still the main besties.

Mom did in fact move to Kentucky believe or not. Also if you can believe, we joined her out there for a month...after we sort of had a mini breakdown and thought a change of scenery would be good for us, even start beauty school over. Unfortunately they wanted me to start totally over and I didn't want to, so I moved back to PR to finish school. Of course mom got lonely once again a month after I moved back and decided to move back to California as well. It was nice I admit, fresh fresh air in KY, but not the life for me. Mom is of course fine, because like usual she has James to keep her occupied and fortunately for your past self, future self kind of popped off at the mouth against him and I refuse to acknowledge him now a days.

I'm not up to too many things to be honest, and it's crappy. I thought we'd be advanced by now, successful as a stylist but once again I'm stuck deciding what to do with my life. I still want to make something that makes ME happy. It's very hard as I'm now 20 years old and decisions like my career actually matter. I don't know where I'll be in the next year, but hopefully the next future self has even more interesting stories to tell you.

Hobbies? Meh, I think the only thing I'm happy to say is that I'm getting back into dancing, a person of which I met while working at a make up store. His name is Matt and he's a dancer, he offered to train me in some more moves and I'm thinking about it. I really want to get back into full time like the good ole days when I wasn't afraid to drop it like it's hot. BUT, I do have to say I've practiced braiding a lot more on dolly and I can honestly I'm proud of progress i've made, by myself! I can do waterfall, fishtail, headband, french, three strand & dutch braids. So much for not knowing squat about braiding huh?

E huh? Ohhhh him, yeah. I really want to say things magically worked out and we're a couple and stuff, but that did not happen at all. He turned out to be a jerk as usual and well...things just fell apart completely. I tried to say how I felt and he crushed me. absolutely crushed me and it's still having an effect on me. Sadly past feelings remain the same for future feelings. We stopped talking for a year completely, it was rough. Interestingly enough, remember the dude we met on Halloween night who was scary looking and didn't talk much? Well who would've thought that...he's your boyfriend now. Your first legit relationship and you've been together for almost a year and a half now. Crazy right?? Well due to certain events, you guys ended up hanging out and well...he fell for you. HARD. So because of that you guys decided to get together and I have to say, he was a good choice. He takes care of you you'll be glad to know. He fixes your car, spoils you, calls you beautiful and how to put up with your crazy mood swings. He even survived living with your mom...that's a story for another letter trust me. But trust also when I say things are good with that situation. And because of those events, somehow E talks to you occasionally. Don't ask me why, that was HIS doing. Oh, and no he hasn't changed, big whoop.

So to answer your last question, this year was both good and bad. Mostly bad, but there was so many good memories that it doesn't even matter honestly. I'm certain things will up and maybe 2015 will be amazing. I think we deserve, both past and future. You're not as brave as you wanted to be, but you've definitely made some progress and should be happy about that. Wish me luck on the next part of our journey, may the odds ever be in your favor.

Love, Future L.
October 1st, 2014 at 06:18am