Fanfiction About Real People

It's been about two years since I was last active on this site, and quite a bit has changed since then. I left after Mibba changed from what it originally was, not that happy about the new layout structure and whatnot. Aside from that, I noticed we have quite a few mini-sites...most of which are about real people.

I wasn't really sure where I should vent this, perhaps bring it up in the forums? I decided my blog would be a safer start, seeing as it's more a place for opinions... Turn back if your not in for a radical opinion in which you may be offended with!

I've actually... always been rather disgusted with fanfiction about real people. I get that it's all in good fun, people put effort into this writing but... these are real people, not your characters. Many celebrities may giggle and whatnot at the notion of fanfiction, not taking it too seriously, but there are celebrities out there who do take this uncomfortably and sometimes fanfiction can cross a few lines that it shouldn't.

I remember a few instances in which fanfiction was actually a serious issue for these /real people/, not that it isn't already, but I recall that sometime in the past someone had written a rather disgusting fanfiction about One Direction, in which they'd found out, and it caused them a serious problem--They'd not been allowed to take Baby Lux into public after that for her safety. There was another instance in which on RuPaul's Drag Race, one of the queens developed a crush on the other, and people started writing fanfics about them and pushing them to be together in the media, and it made them severally uncomfortable.

I'm sorry but--Actually, I'm not sorry. These are real people, just like you. I don't know about you, but I'm sure most people would be freaked if they found out their neighbor had written a very sexually explicit fanfiction about them and the person who lives two doors down the street. Hell, considering some of the fanfiction out there, imagine finding one about you and your little sister or brother. People would probably be disgusted. I do not give a flying hoot if your ship is fictional, that's a COMPLETELY different thing, but real people? I'd apply zero tolerance.

And then you've probably got people saying, "Not ALL fanfiction authors, not ALL celebrities,"--It's a bad argument. I realize not all fanfiction about real people may be that explicit, but unless you are addressing the group as a WHOLE, the problem will gradually veil itself behind those you are not addressing. You must shine light on the entire group, not to let anyone get off thinking it's ok.

Idk, I'd like to see a clean up on this site, though I realize that's an empty wish. Real people fanfiction appears to be driving a majority of this site and the mini sites connected to it, sadly.
October 8th, 2014 at 06:58am