NaNoWriMo + A List of Stories + Tumblr

I am slowly becoming more active on this site again, thankfully! And although I should be studying for my exams, which start next week (ahhh!), I'm spending all of my time planning out stories and writing.

I've decided that this year, like last year, I'm going to have a main story and a back-up story for NaNo, to minimise the likely chance that I'll get writer's block some way during the month. This time, though, the focus will probably be about half-half, depending on how into each story I get.

So without further adieu... here are my NaNo stories!

Rosiland Avenue tells the story of Walter Carlisle, a boy who suffers from Asperger's Syndrome, and the trials and tribulations that he goes through developing from a boy to a man. Obviously, a lot more happens, but it's a pretty heartbreaking story, though grows very heartwarming towards the middle and end. (:

Into the Dark tells the story of corruption, murder and unlikely alliances, as two unorthodox people work to discover who -- and what's -- behind the crime ring that's forming in their town. Along the way there is a lot of tension, banter, and even a twinge of romance.

Feel free to link your NaNo stories here; I'd love to take a look! I'm going to be very active here during NaNo as it's my favourite time of year to be on Mibba, and I love how so many people get together to cheer each other on. So that's what I'm going to encourage until you all get sick of me, haha. If anyone's doing NaNo feel free to message me and we can help each other through things. NaNo's so much more fun when you're doing it with other people!

----

Secondly: I mentioned in my blog the other day that I didn't know what I'd be updating on Mibba due to plans to (hopefully) some day be published. I've come to a decision, though, and I thought I'd list the stories that are going to be active in the coming future in case anyone's interested. Of course, the two above will definitely be active too!

Skin and Bones tells the story of Sky, a girl who has been suffering from anorexia since her older sister's death, and her struggles with the voice in her head -- which she calls Ed. It's a story that highlights the importance of family, friends, letting go and learning to love yourself, and follows Sky on the road to recovery.

Skin and Bones is the story that I'm self-publishing to give to my family members at Christmas, so I'd love to hear some constructive feedback! It's based loosely off of my own life and family, so I'd like to think that it's as close to realistic as it's going to get, haha.

Defiance is my last year's NaNo story, and it's really hard to explain so I'm going to post the summary from my tumblr here instead.
Oli Grey is a boy with no recollection of his life and who he loved; a boy who is desperate to regain his memories. Oli Grey is dead and living in the Otherworld; a place where people awaken once they die, run by the powerful Messenger Godwin and the rumoured (and seemingly mythical) Fates.

In the Otherworld, there is only one way to regain your memories: by completing a task set for you by Godwin, a task which — for the most part — is located on Earth.

When Oli receives his chance to regain his memories, he is desperate and determined to complete his assigned task. He is sent to Earth with no instructions but a single note containing two words: the name Noelle Harding.

But who is Noelle Harding, and what exactly does his task involve? And when Oli becomes caught up in his life on Earth, will regaining his memories seem all that important?


I wasn't going to post Defiance again, but I decided that it'd be much more enjoyable to share it with other people! I'm actually really proud of it, which is odd for me, and Oli and Elena have got to be my all-time favourite characters.

Finally, I'm debating whether to post Light in the Dark. That story came about after paying for a really awful fantasy book and wanting to do the genre justice, by bringing it away from the Twilight era and back towards the Anne Rice era instead. It's pretty dark and it's set in a post-apocalyptic world, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I've never given fantasy a go before and it STILL feels cliche, even though the plot's complex. But yeah. Let me know whether it looks like it'd be worth reading, because the first nine chapters are written and wasting away in my Scrivener saves.

----

I've also been looking into old stories, and I've decided that over the summer holidays (which is in two weeks, but I'll probably start after NaNo) I'm going to give writing a story (that was going to be a co-write) a go on my own. It's an idea I've had for years, and I've been itching to write a sci-fi story, so it should be fun!

If you want to have a looksie, it's here: Among the Lifeless. The title is subject to change, of course, and it's got a bit of planning to go. It's the most complex plot that I've come up with before, so even the summary doesn't describe a lot of it. But yeah... if it sounds cool, it's probably going to be written soon.

Otherwise, I just finished posting Colour Blind, a short story telling the tale of a young white boy and his relationship with a black boy during 1920s America. It features themes of homophobia and racism, so just be careful! But if you wanna have a look, that would be awesome. It's only about 5,000 words altogether!

----

I thought I'd mention that I'm going to work on making my writing tumblr active again, and updating it with all of my new stories. For the duration of NaNo there will probably be a lot of updates, sneak peeks and rants, but otherwise, it gives you complex information on all of my stories, and has loads of pictures and text posts that I find inspirational or are to do with writing (both mine and in general). It's so much fun to maintain, and if you have any questions about my writing or for me in general, feel free to ask them there!

CLICKY HERE FOR MY TUMBLR. Feel free to link me to your writing tumblr, too, if you have one! I'll give you all a follow. (:

Okay, that's the end of this super long and super boring blog. If you've made your way through it: bravo! Have a gold star! I'm going to go and try to study now, haha.
October 8th, 2014 at 10:16am