I'm Sick of Being Discriminated Against (Hufflepuffs Unite)

Yet again, I was made to feel ashamed of myself yesterday because of who I am. It wasn't even intentional. But, it rarely is.

I was in a department store yesterday. I was browsing the clothing store with my friend, having a good time, when she pointed out something out to me. Knowing that I would be delighted to see the t-shirt, especially since it was a really good price, she was proud that she had spotted it. It was there, among the others houses. I was so happy to finally find a Hufflepuff top, the house I belong to.

Then, I went to the till. I was beyond happy with my purchase. That was, until the fateful words were spoken.

"Are all the other one's gone then?"

I know the guy might not have realised that he was trying to make me feel embarrassed by the house I belong to, yet again, as others gave done. By asking that, what he really meant was "Why would you willingly buy, or belong to, Hufflepuff?"

I informed him that no, I belong to Hufflepuff. That I am a proud Hufflepuff, despite what many people say about us.

Even among my friends, it's an inside joke. While they are all Ravenclaws, and one Gryffindor, I am the outcast. The one who should be embarrassed to have a badger as an emblem. Whenever a piece of jewellery is seen with a badger on it, or anything badger related for that matter, it is pointed out to me with a smirk. When I was on Pottermore,after sorting, many were upset by belonging to the house that is passed off as nothing more than a joke in the books. A girl I know was upset when she was sorted into Hufflepuff. As was I, at first. I wanted to be a brave Gryffindor. I would have even settled for the ambitious Slytherin or the smart Ravenclaws. I myself, in my ignorance, also brushed off the Hufflepuffs. Then, I read what Rowling said about Hufflepuffs in their common room, and it changed my views on the sniggered at house. It made me see them for who they were.

Let me tell you something. I am PROUD to be a Hufflepuff. All you Ravenclaws, Slytherins and Gryffindors can giggle and smirk and question my integrity and my intelligence all you want, but you will not make me feel ashamed to be who I am.

Hufflepuffs are loyal. We don't care about how others see us. We don't act out of self preservation, or because of some notion of grandeur, or to show our intellectual superiority. We act from the heart. We stick by our friends no matter what, even if all of Hogwarts has abandoned our friend like Ravenclaws and Gryffindors abandoned Harry when he tried to tell the truth about Voldemort. They stuck by Harry. That shows true character.

Hufflepuffs, we need to unite and end this discrimination! We cannot stand by while our house is besmirched by the false notions of others. We are just as important as Gryffindors and Ravenclaws and Slytherins. We are just as human, and we deserve to feel proud of the house we belong to without others questioning why.

Helga Hufflepuff, I am a proud member of your House, and I am proud to wear the Badger emblem I purchased yesterday.
October 12th, 2014 at 02:49pm