Some Good News | Pre-Concert Anxiety

16 October 2014, 2:51 PM ☠
Before I turn into a chastising, vibe-killing old woman, let's start off with the good news.

Happy October, everyone. For Mibbaween, I have dressed up as the frontman of my favorite band, Matthew (Matty) Healy. (Hence the username and avatar change.) In addition to this, I have re-styled my profile, as in changing my profile photo, the way my name is written, and my bio as well. And in addition to that, I will also be getting tickets to see a band I've discovered in the month of May (Bad Suns) as well as tickets to see my favorite band (The 1975).

Now, this is all good, right? But I'm also experiencing a bit of pre-concert anxiety. The worry doesn't stem from the Bad Suns concert, no, it stems from The 1975's concert in December. Here's why:

Since the beginning of 2014, The 1975 has been getting loads upon loads of recognition. Don't get me wrong. They deserve every bit of recognition they get, but with this recognition comes new fans. Again, new fans are fine, but being a fan is a big job. A big, big job.

It isn't even the new fans that make me have pre-concert depression. What makes me have pre-concert depression are the fans that feel as if they have the right to say whatever they want to the band members and others around them. I want to remind you that this does not solely apply to The 1975 and their fandom. It applies to every music artist and their fandom because this kind of stuff happens to every music artist.

What unnerves me is the fact that people can easily shout, "FUCK ME!" or any variation of it and think that it's 100% okay. Because it's not. (Especially if it's not a Blood On The Dance Floor concert.) It is completely and utterly disrespectful and makes the subject that it was directed to uncomfortable. Not only does it make he or she uncomfortable, but it also makes the rest of the fans uncomfortable.

If a music artist/group of musicians are considerate enough to put on a concert and tour, then it is your responsibility as a fan to make sure that they have the best experience that they possibly can while they're performing for you. It's a mutual benefit. If they're enjoying themselves up on stage, it's a great chance that you'll enjoy yourself, too. But it is not your responsibly to make sure they are uncomfortable. Your job is not to scare them away and regret playing in that specific location. Because that ruins it for everyone else.

And with all of this being a fact, it scares me to no end that my concert experience is going to be ruined because of people who think it's okay to tell a practical stranger, "FUCK ME; HAVE MY BABIES; FUCK ME IN THE ASS!"

I'm so, so afraid.
October 16th, 2014 at 09:15pm