Homosexuals and Other Queer Folks and Their Relationships Is Not a Trigger

There's a difference between "I don't like" and "that triggers me" and I think it's important that people start to realize that.

I understand that some people are 'uncomfortable' with all things LGBTQ related, but simply not being comfortable (or agreeing) with something does not mean it's a trigger.

A 'trigger' is something that would cause a person great emotional distress. It's called a 'trigger' because the person's uncontrollable, emotional response to it might be so visceral it triggers great anxiety (often manifesting in the form of some kind of anxiety attack or the sudden flood of an extremely traumatic memory or event).

So if you don't like to read slash, that doesn't mean that slash is triggering to you, it just means you don't like to read it. Whereas, for some people, reading something like (let's say) graphic rape is actually triggering to them, as it can bring back very vivid and horrifying events from their past or cause them to have a serious emotional reaction.

Readers, please stop saying that 'slash' is a trigger.

Authors, please stop adding 'slash' to your trigger warnings. (I understand why you do it - because you don't want people yelling at you for not warning about all the glorious gayness. But when you include slash in your warnings section, it reinforces the idea that LGBTQ relationships are so horrific they're something that needs to be warned for. If you want to make sure readers know that your story includes LGBT characters/relationship, can you please just state that outside of your trigger warnings?)

So that's it. Please don't include LGBTQ stuff as triggers. It further alienates.
October 17th, 2014 at 03:11am