Objectificationnation

Our assignment for this week is to write about sexism in music videos from artists like Robin Thicke, Robert Palmer and even Lilly Allen.
We all know the “Blurred Lines”- story about women being objectified and then eventually Emily Ratajkowski being declared woman of the year or the girls dancing in 50 Cent videos (does 50 Cent still exist actually?).
But in my opinion the forgotten part of sexism is the most interesting one, namely the part where women trash men and get away with it. The best example for this is the Smile video from Lilly Allen where she commits domestic violence. In the society women are still the victims of men objectifying them. And that’s bullshit, because women can objectify men as much as men do with us and that’s okay.
For example, Pink. She used to make songs for strong and independent 14 year olds where she declares her hate for a certain guy and totally bash him. Kelly Clarkson, same story and don’t forget the ‘Boots and Boys’ song from Ke$ha.
There are plenty of songs where girls objectify guys, but it is never really in an aggressive way. Women do objectify men, but we don’t brag about it and do it in a more subtle way. The thing is that people see men bashing as ‘female empowerment’.

Another thing that is strange is that women can’t objectify themselves. For example Kendrick Lamar can sing about, I quote, “I pray my dick get big as the Eiffel Tower, so I can fuck the world for seventy-two hours” and about his libido, but when Miley Cyrus wants to sit naked on a wrecking ball, it’s world wide news. Even if Rihanna wants to promote the lifestyle of exotic dancers, she’s judged and will be send to the closest nunnery.
So can we please close this case and objectify whom we want without making a fuzz about it?
October 19th, 2014 at 01:57pm