Shaming Women in Stories

I have to point something out. Something that disgusts me on several levels, and makes me feel ashamed of online writing.

Recently, there has been an attempted feminist revolution. Emma Watson is certainly not the first and definitely will not be the last celebrity to attempt this. I think many young women would like to relate as feminists, but being a feminist takes a lot of internal reflection.

Feminism is about accepting all sexualities. It’s about being okay with yourself and not being punished for it.

I’ve been reading a lot lately of online stories lately and there is one character who pops up in lots of different stories. Having this character in your story, in my opinion, is what separates you from having a story worth reading, and not.

This overly cliché character is not a good source of comic relief, because slut shaming is not funny. You know who she is. She’s the chick in the high school or work place with gobs of makeup, long eye lashes, who wears no clothes, has legs for days and astronomically sized lady parts breasts and loves to rub them all over men.

So I’d like to address this issue.

Firstly, this person does not really exist. But if they did, who gives a shit? What is it about having a character who is comfortable with herself, interested in male attention and has boobs that makes her an antagonist? What is so wrong with her flirting and wearing clothes that she likes? She likes to wear make up, maybe too much, who gives a flying fuck? She likes having sex? Ew, not like that is normal. She has had sex with all the boys in my highschool!? I repeat, who gives a fuck. Why can’t she have sex with who-ever she wants? Because she’s a girl?

How can you expect society to stop judging women for how they look, dress and act if you cannot get even get over yourself long enough to create a character who is original? What is so comical about a woman who is confident?

I have two theories about the people and main characters in stories like these.

1. The main character is uncomfortable with him or herself. This results in the character feeling the need to judge others and to degrade them to make themselves feel better.

2. The author is uncomfortable of him or herself. There is a jealousy towards people who are capable of acting and wearing what they want. Of people who are comfortable enough with who they are and are ambitious. Even if they are just ambitious in getting a partner.

This character is easily the under belly of online writing. For me, she is the ultimate cause to a downward spiral in most stories.

Clearly, someone who is comfortable with themselves, who dresses how they wants, feels likes having attention, and knows how to get what they want should be the antagonist.

I don’t know when being a confident woman became the same thing as being evil.

Sincerely,

Aubree James.
October 20th, 2014 at 03:56am